Brass audio sockets

Paper Spark said:
If you twist the strands together and then tin the ends, plus not forgetting to tin the tube & flag you should find it easier to get all of the strands in each connection.
Slip a short length of shrink tube over each lead to insulate from the next one.

Sponsored Links
if you make a tidy job of it there shouldn't be any need for that.

Mo

This is a handy job, well done.

my.php

If you don't mind I'll be a little crictical :rolleyes:

As hopefully you can see each plug has the inner core tube and the outer connector, I would suggest:-

You make sure that each outer is not touching an other outers- I looks as if one (at 11 o'clock) needs moving.

Put heathy amounts of solder on the outers, and your have no problem putting a tinned wire (wire that already has solder on it) on. On these to sleeving the wire isn't required.

The centres might not accept 79 strands of wire (check 1st), if they don't theb split the strands 50:50 and solder some in the centre core and some to the outer side of the centre core. With these wires, put some sleeving thats big enough to cover the post and soldered wires on before soldering.

You haven't mentioned the back box size, hopefully it's a nice deep one :LOL: .

You will need some slack on each cable to solder, the alternative might be to solder the plugs and then fit them to the faceplate- but each could be as difficult :rolleyes:

If space is restricted behind the plate if the wires have a 'free and easy' movement beyond the back box, as you push the plate towards the wall, feed the cables back.

Alternatively try twisted the faceplate 180 or 360 degrees and you push it towards the wall, this will spiral the cables and may help in a tight spot.

What sort of camera have you got?

Are the screens (outer) of the phono sockets in contact with the metal faceplate?

If the phonos where used for low level audio signal, this would be fine, and actually a good idea - I would link them all so they are all a common ground.

HOWEVER

You are using these for speakers, and most modern amps do not put the negative of the speaker to earth - the amps run 'bridged' to provide more power.....not to increase volume, but to lower costs by allowing smaller power supplies.......

Now, if the amp you choose......or the next owner fits.......uses a bridged type of amp, then having these outers commoned together would be a very BAD thing for the poor amp!

Sponsored Links
Mo

This is a handy job, well done.
thanks
If you don't mind I'll be a little crictical :rolleyes:

As hopefully you can see each plug has the inner core tube and the outer connector, I would suggest:-

You make sure that each outer is not touching an other outers- I looks as if one (at 11 o'clock) needs moving.

Not a problem, it just needs loosening, rotating and tightening.

Put heathy amounts of solder on the outers, and your have no problem putting a tinned wire (wire that already has solder on it) on. On these to sleeving the wire isn't required.

The centres might not accept 79 strands of wire (check 1st), if they don't theb split the strands 50:50 and solder some in the centre core and some to the outer side of the centre core. With these wires, put some sleeving thats big enough to cover the post and soldered wires on before soldering.

Will do.

You haven't mentioned the back box size, hopefully it's a nice deep one :LOL: .

35mm, but I am able to pull the cables through as I mount it.

You will need some slack on each cable to solder, the alternative might be to solder the plugs and then fit them to the faceplate- but each could be as difficult :rolleyes:

I have plenty of slack, and that sounds like an interesting idea.

If space is restricted behind the plate if the wires have a 'free and easy' movement beyond the back box, as you push the plate towards the wall, feed the cables back.

I can pull them from the other end, so hopefully this won't cause too much trouble

Alternatively try twisted the faceplate 180 or 360 degrees and you push it towards the wall, this will spiral the cables and may help in a tight spot.

I suppose I could, but pulling them through seems a bit better.
What sort of camera have you got?

Sony Ericcson k800i (it's a moby)

Also Lectrician, there are plastic rings which insulate it from the plate and I will be careful to make sure none of the flags or cables touch anything that they shouldn't.

Thanks all for your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back