Braun Electric Toothbrush

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently the shaver sign meant you must only plug a shaver in, and not something else with the right plug and the same current draw. When they changed it to a picture of a toothbrush it all became ok.
Yes, since the 'shaver only' labelling did not preclude using the socket to charge a rechargeable razor, I always suspected that nothing about the socket (or its current-supplying capabilities) actually changed, other than addition of the symbol, when they came to be labelled for toothbrushes as well as shavers. However, I could be wrong!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Agreed. In any case, the OP has stated that the existing "shaver" socket that has proved to be prefectly adequate for charging his toothbrush.

He could use another socket, elsewhere, but he does not want to.

He wants to use the existing one that is prefectly adequate for charging the toothbrush, in the room that the toothbrush is being used.

Why does everybody want to make a simple thing so bloomin' complicated?

Sorry.

Pointing out that BS 4573 / IEC 60884-1 shaver plugs and CEE 7/16 Europlugs (quite possibly what a German toothbrush charger comes with) are not the same is not complicating things.

A mismatch might be the reason he has to jiggle the plug around.

Sponsored Links

The charger has the original moulded plug on it, so there is no issue there. He has to jiggle it because the flex has failed at the point where it enters the moulded housing. All he needs is a new plug.

This problem was solved two days ago.

2 pages of subsequent smart @rse comments doesn't help anybody.

The charger has the original moulded plug on it, so there is no issue there.
Of course not.

But humour me and explain how you could have been absolutely sure that the original moulded on plug is not a CEE 7/16.

You might like to look at the plugs in these photos:

214yt3DssYL.jpg
screenshot_477.jpg
31GunoFPR0L._SY300_.jpg

He has to jiggle it because the flex has failed at the point where it enters the moulded housing.
Indeed.

But humour me and explain how you could have been absolutely sure that it didn't fail because of jiggling.

All he needs is a new plug.
Indeed.

But humour me and explain how you could have been absolutely sure that the best sort of plug to use was the same sort it already had.

Absolutely sure, no.

Nor are you, but in my experience failure of the cord at that point is quite common. I would expect the OP to put a new plug on and see if that solves the problem. Maybe he could try plugging something else into the socket to see if the issue really is the charger plug/lead itself.

Yes, it could be the socket into the charging point, but lets take the easy step first.

In the meantime, the OP's teeth are starting to rot…. :mrgreen:

Pointing out that BS 4573 / IEC 60884-1 shaver plugs and CEE 7/16 Europlugs (quite possibly what a German toothbrush charger comes with) are not the same is not complicating things.

Shaver sockets are designed to accept BS4573, CEE7/16, US, and often Australian plugs, so he could fit any of these with no problem.

Pointing out that BS 4573 / IEC 60884-1 shaver plugs and CEE 7/16 Europlugs (quite possibly what a German toothbrush charger comes with) are not the same is not complicating things. ....
Shaver sockets are designed to accept BS4573, CEE7/16, US, and often Australian plugs, so he could fit any of these with no problem.
They are indeed pretty versatile - for the example the ubiquitous MK K701:
MK K701 said:
Accommodates plugs as follows:
! British 5mm dia pins on 16.6mm pitch (230V socket) to BS 4573: 1970.
! European 4mm dia pins on 17 to 19mm pitch (230V socket) to IEC 83: 1975 Standard C5.
! Australian 6.5 x 1.6 flat blades each set at 30° to the vertical on a nominal pitch of 13.7mm (230V socket) AS C112: 1964.
! American 6.6 x 1.6 flat horizontal blades on 12.7mm pitch (115V socket) to ANSI C73.10.

Kind Regards, John

Actually thanks BAS

For over a year ive plugged my charger into a 3pin to 2 pin adapter in the bedroom and I have to jiggle it about.

i never realised there was different 2 pin plugs, so maybe I have the wrong adapter

This is ridiculous.

What I DO know is that the existing moulded plug is not, and never has been, a shaver plug. It is attached to a toothbrush charger as supplied by Braun. So there fore it will be a toothbrush plug.
For a UK product, the plug will conform to BS 4573.

And you know, do you, with absolute certainty, that this toothbrush charger was purchased in the UK, or from a UK supplier, and not over the Internet from a non-UK supplier?

You know, do you, with absolute certainty, that there is zero chance that a user with the name "hansi" might be German and have brought it here with him?

How do you know these things?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back