breach of peace.

• Thread starter dontbelieveawordofit
  • Start date
I've been asking all day "What arrestable offence do you think he committed?"

None of the people who approve of his arrest will say.

That's odd.

I won't ask what evidence you have seen, because, obviously, it's none.

Are you under the impression that a person is obliged to answer questions? What do you do if they don't want to?

Sponsored Links
I've been asking all day "What arrestable offence do you think he committed?"

None of the people who approve of his arrest will say.

That's odd.

I won't ask what evidence you have seen, because, obviously, it's none.

Are you under the impression that a person is obliged to answer questions? What do you do if they don't want to?

Depends what the question is about

Sponsored Links
'Breach of the peace' is a fall back for plod when they haven't got a clue...

Which is most of the time!

But it allows them to do what they want, and then later on there is usually the 'no further action needed' response!

My question was "What arrestable offence do you think he committed?"

Perhaps you ought to ask the people who know, the Northumbria police.

In a statement Northumbria Police said: "While we recognized this was a very distressing time for him and his family, our duty was to ensure the safety of all those present.

"We have reviewed the body worn footage from the incident which sets out a very different picture to the limited version of events which have been presented to us."

But surely the people who applaud his arrest must know what they are applauding?

I don't know the background to the story, as we only have the footage at the time of the arrest. It's not clear why he was arrested and it needs to be. I think he has a good case for unlawful arrest. The officers seems to confuse a right to assist the hospital in ejecting him from the premises with a right of arrest if he refuses. They had a right to use reasonable force to eject him as did the hospital security team. This is the same legal right a doorman uses in a pub.

When you enter a premises that is not your home you do so under licence. That licence can be revoked, if you for example don't comply with the rules and requests. If a person wont leave you have right to use reasonable force. The police can help and could arrest someone who fights back.

In this instance there was a mixing of powers which the police officer got confused with.

We do not know if a public order offence had been committed previously, but the offence they would have been thinking of would have been https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1986/64/section/5.

Anyway - you need to be told why you are being arrested, you also need to be told that you are being arrested and none of that is clear from the footage. Could have been edited to suit the journo's agenda. The press rarely report an unbiased view.

I repeat what I said before, it was heartless action by the hospital, especially in the light that (I understand) a court case was pending on allowing the hospital to have the right to withdraw treatment, but they acted to pre-empt that case.

nobody applauds his arrest, (if he was indeed arrested) all we see is him being detained after becoming hysterical. he was clearly a nuisance previously, quite likely used threatening or aggressive behaviour towards staff which was why they called police.
how people can change their tune in here. a fortnight ago you were all outside clapping and banging pans. now there’s a black family who can’t let their daughter die peacefully , and it’s the nhs’ fault.
if it was a white family you wouldn’t give the story the time of day.
been a victim of nhs negligence or police ‘brutality’ recently - call this number now.

Sponsored Links
Back