Breathing in dust, asbestos etc

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Was knocking down tiles in a bathroom and there was dust everywhere. Wore a rubber filter mask but still had a bad throat for a week. How do you know if its asbestos your drilling into? I heard pipe lagging is the worst what does that look like? A builder wants me to help take up floorboards etc as he's raising the roof on his bungalow.
DSC_0778.JPG

Sponsored Links
done a job back in 2000 on
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hascombe_Court
owned then by a very anoying ginger presenter we had to take all the oak panneling and flooring up thoughout the estate
there was dust every where no masks (couldnt smoke with a mask)
it wasnt till all settled then we see the crumbled lagging and blankets all over the dirt under joists it took an asbestos team 5 weeks to remove all plus a foot of soil from under joists

not the first time or last time i played with the devil i will just have to wait and see

I came into servicing motorcycles when asbestos was still widespread use in friction linings etc.

I've no doubt I've had a fair few lungfulla over the years so just suck it and see..

Sponsored Links
I came into servicing motorcycles when asbestos was still widespread use in friction linings etc.

I've no doubt I've had a fair few lungfulla over the years so just suck it and see..
exatley we have all been exposed to it at some stage not knowing but the chances of that one fibre are very low

Many in the costruction industry have to go on Asbestos awareness courses .

asbestos is present & has been used in all types of building materials,

some floor tiles
Some types of Artex

WC cisterns were constructed from it , cold water cisterns (tanks)

S&Vpipes

Guttering

Used in insulation

Blue asbestos (dust) was used to insulate some twin wall flue pipes , present in the insulation gap

used in under floor soud deadening and insulation
some of the earliest case's of what is now known as asbestos was in Ancient Greece , they made table cloths out of it.

There is a list available listing all (?) the boilers that had asbestos in them

There is at least one case on record of a wife who got asbestosis from shaking her husbands over alls out prior to putting them in the washing machine

There is one fella in the CC (or was) who has been diagnosed with asbestosis some years ago

Wasn't it used for the heat proof pads on ironing boards? I've seen a few of them worn through to the wood below.

DSC_0670.JPG
Is there anything bad in the picture I am taking tiles out? Anything in plaster on brickwork or that hessian pipe wrap on shower pipe, isn't asbestos?

2 contracters who removed asbestos lagging with out a licence were recently prosecuted by the hse for work they carried out in county durham in 2016

they were prosecuted under the control of asbestos regs and fined £576 with costs of £847 ( contracter 1)

& £692 with costs of £844 for the 2nd contractor.

I've had to do asbestos awareness for work and you very quickly learn you can compare it to a picture on Google images all day long and you still won't know.

Usually has to be tested by professionals with lab testing gear if there's any concern. The long term effect of ingesting/breathing this in is death, basically. Doesn't happen over night but it's no way to go from what I've seen.

I wish people would stop fixating on asbestos, to the exclusion of other dusts.
Yes, asbestos is awful stuff, but breathing in too much of any dust is bad for you.
Work wisely and carefully.

MDF dust ? Some one said that MDF board has been banned in the USA ????

Sponsored Links
Back