Breathing in dust, asbestos etc

Not anymore
Mdf not the bad one it's hdf labelled the same but made with hardwood dust which is cancerous

Also silica dust a bigger killer

Sponsored Links
I wish people would stop fixating on asbestos, to the exclusion of other dusts.
Yes, asbestos is awful stuff, but breathing in too much of any dust is bad for you.
Work wisely and carefully.

'Too much of any dust is bad for you but no need to fixate on asbestos which has been linked with 2500 deaths a year in the UK.'

If you want to show ignorance don't do it in the way of people offering genuine advice and concern, you might of eaten a bucket of asbestos before breakfast back in the day, doesn't mean anyone else has to.

'Too much of any dust is bad for you but no need to fixate on asbestos which has been linked with 2500 deaths a year in the UK.'

If you want to show ignorance don't do it in the way of people offering genuine advice and concern, you might of eaten a bucket of asbestos before breakfast back in the day, doesn't mean anyone else has to.

If you want to show ignorance, write your own version of my statement, then attack that.
Or, you could go back and read what I wrote again.

Sponsored Links
Oh, and BTW, it's closer to 5000 deaths p.a.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/statistics/causdis/asbestos.htm
asbestos.png

If you want to show ignorance, write your own version of my statement, then attack that.
Or, you could go back and read what I wrote again.

Your idea of ignornace greatly differs to mine. In one statement you managed to contradict yourself by implying the effect of one is as or no more so greater than the other and we shouldn't fixate on it and then failing to provide correct statistics of the deaths it is a cause of by almost half.

Ignorance is bliss it seems.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/statistics/causdis/asbestos.htm
View attachment 142833

Your idea of ignornace greatly differs to mine. In one statement you managed to contradict yourself by implying the effect of one is as or no more so greater than the other and we shouldn't fixate on it and then failing to provide correct statistics of the deaths it is a cause of by almost half.

Ignorance is bliss it seems.

That's mesothelioma deaths (c. 2500 p.a.), and asbestosis deaths (c. 500 p.a.), that your graph is showing.

You missed out lung cancer deaths:

http://www.hse.gov.uk/statistics/causdis/asbestosis/asbestos-related-disease.pdf
(my italics)
Asbestos-related lung cancer

Asbestos is one of the most common causes of lung cancer after tobacco smoking. Lung cancer usually has no specific clinical signs associated with particular causes and so it is very difficult to be sure about the cause of individual cases. However, the overall proportion of annual deaths that are attributable to past asbestos exposures can be estimated from epidemiological information. Lung cancer is still typically fatal within a few years of diagnosis and so, as with the mesothelioma, the number of annual deaths is similar to the annual incidence of new cases.  Research suggests there are currently about as many lung cancer deaths attributed to past asbestos exposure each year in Great Britain as there are mesothelioma deaths. There is considerable uncertainty associated with this estimate.  This implies there are currently around 2,500 asbestos-related lung cancer deaths each year.  Estimation of attributable deaths is complicated by the fact that asbestos and smoking act together to increase the risk of lung cancer. This means that many cases of lung cancer will be caused by both smoking and asbestos rather than by one or other of these exposures.

2500 + 500 + 2500 = ?

The hazards of "construction dust":

http://www.hse.gov.uk/construction/faq-dust.htm

"Anyone who breathes in these dusts should know the damage they can do to the lungs and airways. The main dust related diseases affecting construction workers are:

While some of lung disease like advanced silicosis can come on quite quickly, most take a long time. Often this is over years. They happen because during this time regularly breathing even small amounts of dust adds up and damages the lungs and airways. Unfortunately, by the time you notice the damage is often done and it is more difficult to treat."

"Important statistic
Recent HSE research has estimated that silica may be responsible for the deaths of over 500 people each year who have worked in construction. HSE also estimates that around 4,000 people die every year from COPD linked to work. Construction workers are one of the at-risk groups within this because of the dust that they breathe."

Is dust extraction / collection fitted to your power tools just to save some cleaning up, or for some other reason, I wonder?......
Or the sticker advising RPE is there just because it adds a bit of colour to your gear?.....

That's mesothelioma deaths (c. 2500 p.a.), and asbestosis deaths (c. 500 p.a.), that your graph is showing.

You missed out lung cancer deaths:

http://www.hse.gov.uk/statistics/causdis/asbestosis/asbestos-related-disease.pdf
(my italics)
Asbestos-related lung cancer

Asbestos is one of the most common causes of lung cancer after tobacco smoking. Lung cancer usually has no specific clinical signs associated with particular causes and so it is very difficult to be sure about the cause of individual cases. However, the overall proportion of annual deaths that are attributable to past asbestos exposures can be estimated from epidemiological information. Lung cancer is still typically fatal within a few years of diagnosis and so, as with the mesothelioma, the number of annual deaths is similar to the annual incidence of new cases.  Research suggests there are currently about as many lung cancer deaths attributed to past asbestos exposure each year in Great Britain as there are mesothelioma deaths. There is considerable uncertainty associated with this estimate.  This implies there are currently around 2,500 asbestos-related lung cancer deaths each year.  Estimation of attributable deaths is complicated by the fact that asbestos and smoking act together to increase the risk of lung cancer. This means that many cases of lung cancer will be caused by both smoking and asbestos rather than by one or other of these exposures.

2500 + 500 + 2500 = ?

The hazards of "construction dust":

http://www.hse.gov.uk/construction/faq-dust.htm

"Anyone who breathes in these dusts should know the damage they can do to the lungs and airways. The main dust related diseases affecting construction workers are:

While some of lung disease like advanced silicosis can come on quite quickly, most take a long time. Often this is over years. They happen because during this time regularly breathing even small amounts of dust adds up and damages the lungs and airways. Unfortunately, by the time you notice the damage is often done and it is more difficult to treat."

"Important statistic
Recent HSE research has estimated that silica may be responsible for the deaths of over 500 people each year who have worked in construction. HSE also estimates that around 4,000 people die every year from COPD linked to work. Construction workers are one of the at-risk groups within this because of the dust that they breathe."

Is dust extraction / collection fitted to your power tools just to save some cleaning up, or for some other reason, I wonder?......
Or the sticker advising RPE is there just because it adds a bit of colour to your gear?.....

Okay so now you're on a tangent about statistics, when lung cancer can be down to variables such as smoking, you can't confidently suggest it's because you once saw a bit of asbestos.

Asbestosis and mesothelioma are directly linked to asbestos exposure, so for sake of your argument call it 3000 deaths a year and declining.

If your statement then about extraction and RPE was to question my own dedication to what I'm saying in an attempt to underminee, rest assured, it's fitted, mainteded, tested and used without exception to the tune of thousands of pounds.

Back to the point in hand, it seems you're determined and content in arguing with me about statistics after already saying people shouldn't become transfixed with asbestos exposure, ironic in its own right, rather than actually offering help and guidance to OP so it begs the question, why are you bothering.

Okay so now you're on a tangent about statistics, when lung cancer can be down to variables such as smoking, you can't confidently suggest it's because you once saw a bit of asbestos.

Asbestosis and mesothelioma are directly linked to asbestos exposure, so for sake of your argument call it 3000 deaths a year and declining.

If your statement then about extraction and RPE was to question my own dedication to what I'm saying in an attempt to underminee, rest assured, it's fitted, mainteded, tested and used without exception to the tune of thousands of pounds.

Back to the point in hand, it seems you're determined and content in arguing with me about statistics after already saying people shouldn't become transfixed with asbestos exposure, ironic in its own right, rather than actually offering help and guidance to OP so it begs the question, why are you bothering.

You used the HSE for stats, denigrated mine, then conveniently ignored the stats from your own link, which undermined your own claim.

However, the main point is that you have missed the point.
I have not once said to ignore the risks from asbestos.
I have advised that do not ignore the risks from other dusts, just because someone reckons the item in question is not asbestos.

To put it more succinctly for anyone who asks "Is this asbestos?" on here....

"Even if it isn't, do not go hell-for-leather and think the other dust you raise will not harm your health."

You used the HSE for stats, denigrated mine, then conveniently ignored the stats from your own link, which undermined your own claim.

However, the main point is that you have missed the point.
I have not once said to ignore the risks from asbestos.
I have advised that do not ignore the risks from other dusts, just because someone reckons the item in question is not asbestos.

To put it more succinctly for anyone who asks "Is this asbestos?" on here....

"Even if it isn't, do not go hell-for-leather and think the other dust you raise will not harm your health."

No I didn't. You lumped in lung cancer which gave you 5000 which as I said could have multiple variables as to cause where as asbestosis and mesothelioma (2500+500 and declining) are directly linked to exposure.

Anyway, whatever the stats- asbestos, hardwood, silicosis kill. Will the ffp 3 mask help a lot? I definitely don't think they're 100% but I guess even if a bit of dust still gets in they must reduce contact with this dust and that's got to be good. Any advice on masks or dealing with these substances. How do you even guess what you're drilling into for example? How about cement dust when pouring the the cement into a wheelbarrow etc

Anyway, whatever the stats- asbestos, hardwood, silicosis kill. Will the ffp 3 mask help a lot? I definitely don't think they're 100% but I guess even if a bit of dust still gets in they must reduce contact with this dust and that's got to be good. Any advice on masks or dealing with these substances. How do you even guess what you're drilling into for example? How about cement dust when pouring the the cement into a wheelbarrow etc
Properly fitting and worn ffp3 will help, but the primary control will always be dust elimination / reduction at source.
i.e. if you make a huge cloud of dust, all but the very best RPE will be pointless.
Keep things wetted, where safe to do so.
Effective filtered dust extraction/ collection / disposal.
Slow and steady work.
Hand, rather than power, tools.
Do the job a different way.

PPE should always be the thought of as the last line of protection.

I had to drill a 52mm hole into an asbestos/cement drain pipe the other day to fit a boss connector. Used a starret type cutter in a cordless drill. I wore a mask but I had constant water on it from my pressurised weed sprayer. No dust at all and I think it helped the cutting process by cooling and lubricating the blade - I just had a grey paste running out of the cut.

I had to drill a 52mm hole into an asbestos/cement drain pipe the other day to fit a boss connector. Used a starret type cutter in a cordless drill. I wore a mask but I had constant water on it from my pressurised weed sprayer. No dust at all and I think it helped the cutting process by cooling and lubricating the blade - I just had a grey paste running out of the cut.

Good stuff:)

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/guidance/a9.pdf

Sponsored Links
Back