Brewing up on the move

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After a long (long) wait there's finally this:
https://makitauk.com/product/dkt360z

Which is great, only trouble is it's too large. Especially for a car crammed full of stuff such as one might have when taking a holiday.

I've used a camping stove in the past. Only problem with that is:
1) Don't want to fire it up in the car (fire hazard)
2) Need to find a level (relatively clean) surface
3) Any wind can mean problems heating the water, a problem at a lot of rest-stops through France/Germany that just have a few tables in the middle of a patch of grass and not much shelter.
4) Need to wait for it to cool down before packing it away.

So now I know what can be done with a couple of Makita batteries (there are youtube videos reviewing the Makita, including how much water you can boil with the twin 18v batteries) I figured I could come up with my own, vastly simpler home-brew arrangement (pun intended).

- A holder to keep the mug in position.
- A length of wire or other heating element
- A hinge or some slider to lower the element into the cup (or a way to lower the cup itself if easier)
- A current limiting circuit to avoid destroying the battery.
- A thermocouple to check water temperature (since I don't want to cut-off the way a kettle does by checking the steam, as I want to boil in an open cup.

In theory sending some current through some wire will cause heat, this much I know. What I don't know is what parameters I need to think about to make this process efficient. Is there some ideal material for the element, what thickness etc... Can I just buy a suitable element somewhere? Also can you think of any problems with the above?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
ISTR you can get car accessory socket powered water heaters that will make you a brew.

Sure there are. Some just an element that you put in a mug, but also small travel kettles for 12v or 24v. Ebay, etc. Possibky in the Aldi Aisle of Mystery.

I was toying with getting a sort of picnic hamper for my next vehicle, with tubs of long life milk, sugar sachets, biscuits

Stuff that will not easily go off. And a 12v cool box or mini fridge.

A thermos flask and camping gas has got to be more reliable than a battery kettle.

Blup

Sponsored Links
I usually ask a coffee shop to fill my jar with hot water to sterilise baby things.
Never been told no.
Then put tea in the jar and tip in a flask.
I'm a cheapskate, am I not?

I'd far rather go for a gas camping stove, I just haven't found one that looks like it would be safe for a car (or that I dared use in a car), particularly with children. Key thing is to have a good area free above/around it and that's ergonomically difficult. Unless you put it in the boot, and stick all your gear in a roof box.

Not seen in UK, but in Hong Kong when I lived there you could buy tins of coffee where you activated a chemical when you wanted to drink it which heated it up.

Why you want want to re-heat I don't know, and cold tea or coffee more expensive to hot tea or coffee in any coffee or tea shop.

Sponsored Links
Back