Brick difference help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

A brickie is coming to finish off our seat. It's been like this for months i.e. never finished and waiting for the granite seat. Anyway, I just thought I could go to wickes and get 10 orange bricks for him that would match the ones already used. The builder who did it so far did a disappearing act so I cant ask him.

However I took the brick to wickes and theres are different to the one I need. Can anyone help tell me the brick I need and where to go to get it? If it isn't wickes then maybe Jewsons?

Thanks

Matt

Attachments

• 20230520_091241.jpg
    20230520_091241.jpg
    522.2 KB · Views: 98
  • 20230520_120759 (002).jpg
    20230520_120759 (002).jpg
    453.9 KB · Views: 93
Sponsored Links
Afaik, unless you know the make and type, then you’ll need a brick library, so a builders merchants is likely. Has the bricky stated that you supply the bricks?

No. He's more of all rounder I think rather than a brickie. I only need max 10 bricks and didn't want to be paying him to traipse round the county only to get a 'near' match which would look rubbish!

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Hi,

A brickie is coming to finish off our seat. It's been like this for months i.e. never finished and waiting for the granite seat. Anyway, I just thought I could go to wickes and get 10 orange bricks for him that would match the ones already used. The builder who did it so far did a disappearing act so I cant ask him.

However I took the brick to wickes and theres are different to the one I need. Can anyone help tell me the brick I need and where to go to get it? If it isn't wickes then maybe Jewsons?

Thanks

Matt
Wickes, FFS. They are a DIY centre not a builders' merchants. One of those bricks looks like a brick. The other looks like a reconstituted concrete impersonation of a brick. Awful match

Sponsored Links
You'll have to take a few of the existing bricks around a few local merchants and see if you can find a match you're happy with.

As an update. So bricks being finished today (photos to follow). Question, guy has put in the slate coping but left gaps between them. It looks rubbish. He says they are expansion gaps. Surely it's hot for them to expand any more in this weather and they can expand sideways. It looks really naff plus the rain will get in between the gaps in due course. Any advice?

Attachments

• 20230611_162025.jpg
    20230611_162025.jpg
    534.5 KB · Views: 90
  • 20230611_162032.jpg
    20230611_162032.jpg
    545.9 KB · Views: 82
  • 20230611_162123.jpg
    20230611_162123.jpg
    722.4 KB · Views: 73
  • 20230611_162134.jpg
    20230611_162134.jpg
    613 KB · Views: 81
Did he also explain why he cut the returns longer? Image number 2, it looks like he has overcut by 20mm

The expansion excuse make little sense to to me. Was that also his excuse for not fully pointing the underside of the slate?

As per @Nige F 's post, you can use tape and, rather than polysulfide, I would say use a MS polymer, eg CT1. Alternatively, use coloured grout.

Mapei have a wide range of grout colours

MS polymers- CT1 have a larger range of colours than most other brands.

Alternatively, just ask him to point them, and possibly cut away the excess slate.

He's coming back to finish the pointing (does it take two lots of work?) and he said he left them slightly longer as he didn't know what I wanted. I have been on holiday so this is slightly forgivable. So he will trim those back but my feeling is that he should take them up again and re lay them so they are flush? Wont polymer not look as good? Sounds like a job to cover up a bodge job? I have a few spare slates so if he breaks some lifting them out again then I'm covered somewhat.

He's coming back to finish the pointing (does it take two lots of work?) and he said he left them slightly longer as he didn't know what I wanted. I have been on holiday so this is slightly forgivable. So he will trim those back but my feeling is that he should take them up again and re lay them so they are flush? Wont polymer not look as good? Sounds like a job to cover up a bodge job? I have a few spare slates so if he breaks some lifting them out again then I'm covered somewhat.

They can be cut in situ, but it is (much) more difficult to do it. He now runs the risk of accidentally cutting in to the brick or scuffing the adjacent slate. If he is confident that he can do them in situ, then let him carry on.

I don't understand why he wanted to give you the option of slates that don't line up...

Apropos the polymer, I personally would rather a coloured grout that matches the colour of the slate, but you are looking at a bag of grout in excess of a tenner, and will end up binning 90% of it. You also run the risk of the guy letting it run down onto the brick faces.

I don't want to malign him, I don't know the full back story or how much you paid for his labour.

At the moment, a lot of my exterior work is thorough a brick pointer. He is on site with scaffolding, customers decide to have the windows painted at the same time. I can only guess that he, your guy, was worried that if he tried pointing it at the same time, the slate might move. I am being generous.

He came back today. The slate coping is ours and we agreed he hadn't listened fully! He is going to take them up. I have a few spare coping stones fortunately. He said I wouldn't get them properly aligned as the seat brickwork isn't straight for which I accept there'll need to be some polmer/grout etc somewhere. But I said I'd rather it was at the back where the plants can overgrown into any 'differences'. Perhaps I am too fussy lol!

He came back today. The slate coping is ours and we agreed he hadn't listened fully! He is going to take them up. I have a few spare coping stones fortunately. He said I wouldn't get them properly aligned as the seat brickwork isn't straight for which I accept there'll need to be some polmer/grout etc somewhere. But I said I'd rather it was at the back where the plants can overgrown into any 'differences'. Perhaps I am too fussy lol!

Appreciate that the brickwork might not be straight or at right angles, but that still doesn't explain the fact that the returns were cut too long.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back