Brick pillar?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a double garage built 2yrs ago the rear and side walls are single leaf with the front being double. In each rear corner is a brick pillar tied into rear and side walls with metal wall tiles, in the centre of each side and the rear walls are single brick pillars two brick width, these are tied again with same wall tiles but the mortar has cracked from top to bottom where they meet the outside wall and if I push them I can hear them knock against the outside wall? They don't sway or swing but they definitely have a small amount of movement, this doesn't seem right?

Sponsored Links
That isn't right at all. They should be built into the walls not just put up next to them. How long are the walls with these pillars in them?

Sounds like the piers are not properly tied to the external skin of masonry. It is however, common to build these separately as it means the facing bricks can run through. You could retrofit the ties by using a proper retrofit wall tie, in order to tie the external leaf to the pier.

The arrangement of piers should be in accordance with Diagram 17 and 18 of the Building Regulations Part A (incidentally does not require piers in the corners).

Tying with ties is acceptable if done correctly.

Repoint the vertical joint and that will stop the movement

Sponsored Links
Hi walls are approx 5-6m in length, can't remember exactly off top of my head.Facing bricks do run through so looks right outside. I know the wall ties are in, the metal ones with triangle ends as I remember seeing them before the piers where finished. I haven't approched the builder yet just wanted to get my facts right.

Hi walls are approx 5-6m in length, can't remember exactly off top of my head.Facing bricks do run through so looks right outside. I know the wall ties are in, the metal ones with triangle ends as I remember seeing them before the piers where finished. I haven't approched the builder yet just wanted to get my facts right.

Sorry I missed the part about wall ties.... Makes more sense now. You could quite easily take the bricks down, clean up and then rebuilt the pillar replacing any faulty or loose wall ties.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back