Brick work around windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
221BB144-5DA8-40D3-B227-BA645AC5B73F.jpeg 6F1EF108-5675-41DE-89C5-29B3DD8EBF76.jpeg 834BA2C4-89F1-4A87-87A4-BBE651604B00.jpeg

Hey guys - newbie here.

Just started decorating the living room and since we moved in, there has always been a slight draught above the architraves. Decided today to pull the architraves off (we was just going to strip the paint and repaint) and all the sand and lime just fell to the floor as soon as we popped the architrave off - not great.

This has set us back a few steps and we’re not really sure what to do. Now we’ve seen how bad the windows are, we’re thinking of replacing them. (We had a new back door a few weeks ago and the installer said our windows were ‘ancient’).

What I’d like to know is, should we get new windows first and then repair the brickwork or sort the bricks first and then do the windows? I’ve attached some photos (I hope it works) - any suggestions or anything please let me know - i.e. completely replace the brickwork, just fill the gaps then plaster over

Attachments

• AF082514-DE5E-4FF7-9FCD-97E96A872838.jpeg
    AF082514-DE5E-4FF7-9FCD-97E96A872838.jpeg
    349.4 KB · Views: 269
Sponsored Links
What is actually wrong with the frames to warrant replacement?

We wanted new wanted anyway - none of the glass in the windows is safety glass so needs to be done. Just not sure what to do about the bricks.

Frames should be fitted first. There does not seem to be anything wrong with the bricks, and careful fitters should ensure that is the case after removal and fitting.

You then need a vDPC, insulation and decide how the inside is to be finished.

Sponsored Links
How low do the windows go? May not need to be safety glass?

Frames should be fitted first. There does not seem to be anything wrong with the bricks, and careful fitters should ensure that is the case after removal and fitting.

You then need a vDPC, insulation and decide how the inside is to be finished.

Do you have a diagram of how that is installed? Will need it for extension window.

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back