Bricking up garage door, brick and block vs brick and batten/celotex

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Posted in building regs and got some good answers but have a different question which needs answering.

So, I'm having my driveway redone and whilst they're knocking out things around the garage I asked them to see what the situation is regarding the slab for the garage. Unfortunately, its only 3 inches deep on the face where the door is and not the 6 inches required by building regs to build a wall with window on. So having spoken with them I've decided I'd rather install a lintel vs digging down 1 metre and infilling with concrete.

My question is, what would everyone go for in terms of building on top of this. If I go for brick and block I need 2 lintels. If I go with brick and batten its 1 lintel but then the cost of celotex. What would be cheaper out of the two (or is there not much in it?) and is one going to be significantly better from an insulation perspective?

Looking to make a call on it tonight so as not to hold up the driveway build tomorrow.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
I have always preferred the traditional double skin.
Why do you need 2 lintels?
If you use a metal lintel, it goes across both skins.
They're not much more expensive than 2 concrete lintels and you don't have to worry about the cavity.

I have always preferred the traditional double skin.
Why do you need 2 lintels?
If you use a metal lintel, it goes across both skins.
They're not much more expensive than 2 concrete lintels and you don't have to worry about the cavity.

I just assumed it might be a pain to get a metal lintel quickly. The total length of the lintel is 2,200mm. 2,000mm for the opening and 100mm each side. to rest on the bricks.

Why do you prefer the double skin method? Isn't it more expensive? I can batten myself but would need someone to do the blockwork, imagine they'd be able to do the brick and block in the same day?

Oh and two lintels is one for each skin.

Last edited:
It's my personal preference having attended many failed single skin insulated constructions.
A metal lintel is easy to source and easy to install, although more expensive.
It's my personal preference to spend a bit more and have decades of trouble free usage, but that's just me.

Sponsored Links
Single skin walls don't fail unless whoever built it was crap.
Exactly.
Seen many of them with severe damp issues.
That celotex needs to be installed properly, otherwise it creates lots of problems.

When you said steel I assumed you meant an I beam. I guess that would be easier to fit than knocking the brick out. Not much differential in cost either. If anything it’s cheaper than 2 concrete lintels.

I’m sure the building control chap told me it was 100mm each side but guess it doesn’t matter too much as I won’t find a 2,300mm one anyway.

any recommendations on where to get them locally? Major stores ideally so I can just nip in. Can’t wait for an eBay delivery. I’m based in Warwickshire. But assume the major places will sell them?

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back