Brick work DPC to Blocks

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I only spend 8 hours on site and I'm awake for 17 hours. Besides, Woody and I feel compelled to keep an eye on the dangerous inexperienced idiots, dishing out poor advice.
What bad advice?, do you mean laying block flat? what Ivor suggested would be my way of doing it, stronger, less cuts, no tie wires needed and quicker and cheaper than using 215mm hollow.

What bad advice?, do you mean laying block flat? what Ivor suggested would be my way of doing it, stronger, less cuts, no tie wires needed and quicker and cheaper than using 215mm hollow.
no damp arrangement though

He wants a damp 9" wall, like the rest of the garage. Then he'll do whatever's needed to damp-proof and insulate the whole lot. Am I the only one who can read?

Sounds like a sensible plan. Glad everyone managed to pull together as a harmonious team in the end, without the childish insults that pepper so many otherwise interesting and useful threads here.

Hugs all round. Hope the building trade eventually picks up.

Last edited:
The red is the area where this small wall will be.

img_8583-jpeg.330751
Got to say that is one of the best architect's drawings I've seen. No mucking about, love it.

Getting serious for a moment, you may have cold/damp bridging issues around the window sill and reveals due to the 9" thickness. Will need careful design and various vertical DPCs.

vDPCs on 9" walls to stop damp?

I'm intrigued, tell me more.
Did a job years ago on an architect's mother's house. In the basement there was a bigger window to go in, and he'd done some drawings showing a vertical DPC.
Even when he was told it was a 13 inch solid wall, he still wanted it tacked to the frame and into the jamb, so I had to use a bat every other course to get a straight joint up the jamb for the DPC to slot into.
Pointless on a solid wall, but it's what he wanted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back