Concrete Blocks above Engineering Bricks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, first post here.
I'm in the process of designing a garden hobby room which is to be built using a cavity wall. My initial idea was to construct it entirely from concrete blocks (considerably cheaper), however I have read here that engineering bricks are better around the DPC and frost levels. I have two questions in particular:
1) Can I build below the DPC with engineering bricks, and then lay concrete blocks on top?
2) Should I also put engineering bricks on the inner leaf below the dpc, or is this unnecessary as it will be protected?

Thanks in advance,
J

Sponsored Links
Hi everyone, first post here.
I'm in the process of designing a garden hobby room which is to be built using a cavity wall. My initial idea was to construct it entirely from concrete blocks (considerably cheaper), however I have read here that engineering bricks are better around the DPC and frost levels. I have two questions in particular:
1) Can I build below the DPC with engineering bricks, and then lay concrete blocks on top?
2) Should I also put engineering bricks on the inner leaf below the dpc, or is this unnecessary as it will be protected?

Thanks in advance,
J
You don't have to use engineering bricks at all. As long as the brick has adequate FL rating, crack on. You could build it entirely in block, but aesthetically, it will look rubbish. Internal leaf and unseen stuff, can be entirely in block - yes.

Thanks very much Noseall. Yes I agree about the aesthetics. The intention is to render over the concrete blocks, but obviously below dpc isn’t really an option to render.
The ground is also sloping so one side would have quite a high dpc relative to ground level, so a lot would be on show.
Thank you for the photos, I think I will go with engineering bricks just on the external leaf up until damp, like the house in the “garage 1” photo you sent.

Match the house below DPC. No need for engineers internally, but may be more practical to just buy one type of brick.

Sponsored Links
Thanks woody, appreciate your help. Definitely saves a lot of money by not putting them internally

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back