Brick work DPC to Blocks

The usual unhelpful bluster then. You do have to wonder what motives people have for posting here. Weird.

There will be damp issues putting a window and door into a 9" wall, unless they're recessed with a massive threshold and sill on the outside, which is probably not possible. It would need damp-proofing between the outer skin and whatever is done with the inside, just as the rest of the walls will need.

For my garage conversion I haven't yet designed it in detail but I'm going to just remove the front corners completely and build a new cavity wall across the entire front. The outer skin will be tied into the 9" side wall, the inner skin will butt into an insulated vertical dpc as it meets the side. Obviously both skins tied together with lots of wall ties. The inner frame walls over the side walls will attach to the inner skin.

But if you're keeping the existing pillars as here then it's awkward. I don't know how I'd do it, I'm pointing out that it's definitely an issue that needs dealing with or the place will be plagued with damp around the reveals. I don't pretend to know everything.

By vertical DPC I don't necessarily mean within the wall - but that there must be some kind of barrier between it and the interior. Or could the new wall be built as a cavity wall, with some sort of DPC where it meets the corners, then a bit of framing/plasterboard over the whole lot? Thinking out loud stuff.

Put your egos away fellers, the playground attitude's boring and pointless. How would you do it? If you actually have knowledge then try sharing it, you never know you might actually help someone.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
How would you do it? If you actually have knowledge then try sharing it, you never know you might actually help someone.
Post numbers 6, 8 and 9. Sorted.
The OP want interested.
Nor did he ask about the internals. Or foundations, but you told him anyway.

Not sure if it's my grandma or head of year teacher posting here.

But thanks for telling us what to do anyway.

Sponsored Links
im confused.
as far as I can make out:

lay standard concrete blocks flat is you want a solid 9" wall

but solid walls have no cavity and no way to stop damp penetration, maybe thats of no concern to you if its staying as a garage / storage space

if you do want it to be damp free then do a cavity construction

Damp penetration on solid walls is normally controlled by render, tile hanging, cladding. I've built an extension in solid AAC blockwork about 15 years ago that went through Building Control.
Although cavity walls are the standard method for exterior walls, building regs do allow solid walls.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back