Brick work DPC to Blocks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

currently, I am building a wall to replace my garage door.

I want to know the block name to use when ordering my materials...

I will use engineer bricks on my foundation for my garage, around 3 courses high. It will be a double brick wall with no gaps in between as i will be insulating the insides of the room....

Once the engineer bricks have been laid up to the DPC level, I want to be to use concrete blocks but enough width to sit on a double brick wall, what is the name of this block. It needs to be a good height, too, .. Is it a 9-inch block?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I am a but confused, why do you want a solid 9" wall to infill the garage door?

in general terms a standard concrete block is 440 x 215 x 100 so if you want to use a black to cover the width of a double wall you just lay them flat as a standard metric brick is 215mm long

i want a 9 inch solid wall because it will match the existing wall, which is 9 inch. if i put a gap for insulation between the bricks, it will stick out from inside the garage. so by having a solid wall, i can put pir insulation from inside the wall.

Sponsored Links
i want a 9 inch solid wall because it will match the existing wall, which is 9 inch. if i put a gap for insulation between the bricks, it will stick out from inside the garage. so by having a solid wall, i can put pir insulation from inside the wall.
There are hollow dense 215mm wide concrete blocks available, but are zero fun to lay and rubbish to fix to or fill. Most brickies would prefer to lay two leaves of 100mm blocks, laid as a 215mm thick wall.

Are you rendering the wall afterwards?

There are hollow dense 215mm wide concrete blocks available, but are zero fun to lay and rubbish to fix to or fill. Most brickies would prefer to lay two leaves of 100mm blocks, laid as a 215mm thick wall.

Are you rendering the wall afterwards?
Hi
Yes rendering the wall too…
The merchant said I need a 9inch block… but 9inch as in 9inch wide, where’s the dimension?

A nine inch block and a fork lift!

Build it in two 100mm leafs, with steel ties to hold them both together. Lightweight concrete 3.5N. Do not buy the heavy 7N blocks.

A nine inch block and a fork lift!

Build it in two 100mm leafs, with steel ties to hold them both together. Lightweight concrete 3.5N. Do not buy the heavy 7N blocks.
Oh I undetand. But it’s only 1m high and 1.44m wide…..

What's the difference between building two 4" walls and one 9" one? You'll still end up with a 9" thick lump of concrete either way.

I'd suggest that laying the blocks down would be stronger, and not reliant on ties to hold it together.

Glad to hear it's got a foundation! Hopefully tied into the existing foundations. At the risk of stating the bleeding obvious, the blockwork needs to be very well tied into the side walls.

What's the difference between building two 4" walls and one 9" one? You'll still end up with a 9" thick lump of concrete either way.

I'd suggest that laying the blocks down would be stronger, and not reliant on ties to hold it together.

Glad to hear it's got a foundation! Hopefully tied into the existing foundations. At the risk of stating the bleeding obvious, the blockwork needs to be very well tied into the side walls.
Thanks
Do you know the name of the wall starters for these blocks?

215mm blocks are awful to handle, horrible to work with, hideous to cut, slow to lay and crap to fix to (hollows). I'd run a mile form any job requiring them, even if I was starving. It's great that you think they are better though. (y)

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back