Brickwork check

• Thread starter Deleted member 281264
  • Start date
TBH, I don't mess about too much in the ground, it might take a few course to get the bond right, and there may be one or two big or tight joints or cuts, but it's just not worth spending a lot of time on. If things work out, great, if not they will by the time it's above ground and seen. Full joints, plumb, level, square etc is really all that matters.

I might even have a big pile of rubbish in the garden too. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
TBH, I don't mess about too much in the ground, it might take a few course to get the bond right, and there may be one or two big or tight joints or cuts, but it's just not worth spending a lot of time on. If things work out, great, if not they will by the time it's above ground and seen. Full joints, plumb, level, square etc is really all that matters.

I might even have a big pile of rubbish in the garden too. :rolleyes:
Woody half of that is above ground and seen, if they can't be arsed getting it looking reasonable, what chance the rest will be, a jointer costs £6 10mins more time, but they couldn't be bothered. And why render to below ground level when they went to the trouble of using eng bricks upto dpc (strange).

Oh, I was going of the info that none of it will be seen.

Yes, any brickwork above ground level should be pointed and look nice, and render should stop at the DPC, which in turn should be at least 150mm above ground level - so two course of engineers seen.

I was told that the engineering brickwork going up now will not be visible once finished. If there is 2 courses of bricks visible I will make sure they are repointed properly.

Does it not look a bit strange having a whole house rendered then two courses of engineering bricks down at the bottom?

Sponsored Links
You can render down past dpc as long as you have a bell cast to separate the dpc

It's very bad design to render below DPC. It will get very dirty very soon and get detached by frost within a few years. There s also a greater risk of a DPC breach.

If a bricklayer done that then it’s time for him to put that trowel in the bin or start using it in a collage and learn how to do the job properly, I wouldn’t let him build me a dog kennel. And as for getting the perps set right I’d say take that few more minutes on the first course getting it right and it’s plain sailing after that saves you messing about later on

And as for getting the perps set right I’d say take that few more minutes on the first course getting it right and it’s plain sailing after that saves you messing about later on
What do you do with the bricks below DPC when the bricks above DPC require reverse bond or different spacing? Do you still spend more time "getting it right" below ground?

If a bricklayer done that then it’s time for him to put that trowel in the bin or start using it in a collage and learn how to do the job properly, I wouldn’t let him build me a dog kennel. And as for getting the perps set right I’d say take that few more minutes on the first course getting it right and it’s plain sailing after that saves you messing about later on

Can you explain to me what is so wrong with it? Other than not being very neat work

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back