Bristan tap cartidges failing after 1 year

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a Bristan EasyFit Echo Sink mixer in our utility room: https://www.bristan.com/products/Kitchen-Taps?code=EC SNK EF C

It was first installed about 4 years ago and only 12 months ago my plumber swapped the cartridges having got them free under the warranty because it was dripping.

However the tap has started dripping again so I'm wondering why this is happening. The only thing I can think of is that it is on the mains supply and the first tap in the house connected to the mains.

The mains pressure we have is pretty good but not explosive. Is it possible it being the first tap off the mains means it is facing more pressure than elsewhere? Could I adjust the on/off value on the cold down a bit to easy back on the pressure into the tap to avoid this happening again?

I have requested another set of cartridges and will replace them myself this time, but wanted to know if adjusting back the pressure could avoid it happening again.

Thanks in advance,

Ciaran

Sponsored Links
Normally nothing to do with pressure, unless it is >5bar. More likely just to be wear and tear.

Could be that your mains could be a little gritty, do you have a strainer on your mains supply? It is more prevalent if there are regular mains water works being performed.

1/4 turn valves when just out used to have a lifetime guarantee, they soon changed that when they realised they don't last much past a couple of years, mains water quality dependent.

Bristan may change them again if you have evidence they are only a year old.

Could be that your mains could be a little gritty, do you have a strainer on your mains supply? It is more prevalent if there are regular mains water works being performed.

Nothing that I know of and have never noticed anything coming through the taps

1/4 turn valves when just out used to have a lifetime guarantee, they soon changed that when they realised they don't last much past a couple of years, mains water quality dependent.
Our water is pretty hard (based in London)

Bristan may change them again if you have evidence they are only a year old.
Well they replaced them a year ago and I have a support ticket number

Sponsored Links
Could be that you need a mini expansion vessel fitting to the cold main.
Don't think he's getting hammer unless I missed something??

OP, if your mains pressure is too high then you'll need a reducing valve. Turning down the tap just reduces the flow, not the pressure. Maybe an idea to get the mains pressure tested? If it's 3 bar dynamic or less then pressure normally wouldn't be an issue. I'd maybe look at getting a strainer fitted and then check it periodically. Grit in the main can be a big culprit for premature ceramic valve wear.

I was thinking more along the lines of extreme pressure build up with cold mains water expanding within the building fabric.
It kills boiler hydroblocs on boilers too.

Apologies for the delay in coming back on this.

The first set of cartridges which Bristan sent arrived, but the envelope was open so they must have fallen out in the post. I call them back and they sent another set next day delivery (in a huge box!). I Took apart the tap and gave it a clean with Vaikal in case it was just a bit dirty or had limescale. Low and behold it stopped dripping!.

However after about a day it started again, but not as bad as before. So in the end I just swapped out the tap cartridge for a new one. Very easy and can't believe I had my plumber replace it before (although he was servicing the boiler so it wasn't a call out just for the tap!)

Thanks again for the advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back