British cultural traditions?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have noticed in "real life" that many people don't realise just how many strange and wonderful traditions we have in this country. I think if people stepped back and just thought about some of these things they might be more in favour of a "multi-ethnic, single-culture" society than the "let's have 4000 different cultures, with various conflicts that mean many people will feel disgruntled" society.

Some of the weird things we do as a culture include:

1) the "wooden spoon". A Spanish friend was awarded one of these after a quiz and wasn't sure why she got a prize for coming last!

2) this evening, how many of you will cross your arms, link hands with the people either side and start singing "Auld Lang Syne": a song that you probably haven't even considered singing since last New Year's Eve!

Any other British peculiarities people can think of?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
buying someone a drink :D whats that all about then? I buy you a drink, you buy me one back, now were square.

Freddie said:
Morris Dancing----- A Pagan ritual

Hmmm......I understood this to be brought to Europe by the Moors and its pronunciation to be a deviation from "Moorish" dancing.

Richardp said:
buying someone a drink :D whats that all about then? I buy you a drink, you buy me one back, now were square.

The way I understand this, is that you buy someone a drink, but you do not expect one back. However, if you do not get one back, the other person is considered rude.

oilman said:
Freddie said:
Morris Dancing----- A Pagan ritual

Hmmm......I understood this to be brought to Europe by the Moors and its pronunciation to be a deviation from "Moorish" dancing.

You must be joking!

What about proper beer: room temperature and flat. With no or little head.

Not like these Yerpean ones: cold, gassy and half the glass is froth. It's just so wrong!

I settle for a cold and full glass with a tiny layer of froth nowadays :D (Ugh, warm beer!)

WoodYouLike said:
I settle for a cold and full glass with a tiny layer of froth nowadays :D (Ugh, warm beer!)

Yeah, that's 'cus you is Yerpean, innit.

You've obviously never tried proper real ale. Nectar.

When I told my Greek boss where I used to work that I didn't like olives or tiramisu, he retorted that it was because I had obviously never had proper olives or tiramisu. (He was a bit like the Dad from My Big Fat Greek Wedding. Great boss though. Anyway I digress). "Obviously never had proper" could refer to anything though couldn't it?

Sponsored Links
Back