British Gas and personal Gas safe registration

Jumbo union guys i have spoke to are BG GMB one in london one in scotland checked with mates who are still on board in midlands and none of them have heard of this ,

Used to be A BG union rep myself so who is the essex guy i used to attend meetings with some of them as it was part of our area.

It would have to be classed as gross misconduct and you would have to be caught actually do outside work to be sacked .

And 2 weeks after interview does not add up if its a sackable offence you are dismissed instantly.
It is not unusual for people who are sacked to lie about the reasons

Enough guys who still work for BG post on here so lets see if any of them have heard of localised action

Sponsored Links
Any guys with dual registration left of their own accord round my way. Not heard of anyone being sacked.

i have to doubt this 300 sackings figure. there would have been news and told you so smirks from the management at TT's.

i also doubt that you would need to be caught actually in a job with your own registration to be sacked. the fact that you have a seperate registration makes you in breach of contract. im no lawyer or union rep but im pretty sure they can bin you for that alone.

An employer cannot suddenly add new clauses to employment contracts during an individuals employment unless they are reasonable.

A requirement that he does not work in the same field of work is quite reasonable for competition reasons.

Merely having a personal registration does not in itself mean that any private gas work is being done. ( Although it would sound very likely, but thats not proof! ).

Tony

Sponsored Links
An employer cannot suddenly add new clauses to employment contracts during an individuals employment unless they are reasonable.

its not new, even if it was they obviously consider it "reasonable". this type of thing isnt unusual in many industries.

Merely having a personal registration does not in itself mean that any private gas work is being done. ( Although it would sound very likely, but thats not proof! ).

they may be sacked for breach of contract for simply having a seperate registration, not for using it.

Tony

The no private registration has always been the case since ive been with BG. Certainly hasnt been slipped in without notice. The union would have had to agree to it too

It definetly was not in 8 years agowhen i left.
Petite have you heard of anyone getting sacked for purely having registration without the offer to give it up.

doing privates ie working in competition has always been a sackable offence. Using van tools and equipment is regarded as theft, therefore gross misconduct, sackable offence. A lot depends on your FM and how he/she choses to deal with the matter. Holding personal GSR is by association regared as having the abillity to work in competition, not sackable but as my mate on install was informed, we'll be watching anyone with GSR very closely and be over them like a nasty rash. Only thing he has changed is he don't use the van anymore and never took on the corgi/gsr bit

just to put right a few things, as i already said, the 300 figure came from a union rep and cannot be verified. i have already said this.

2 engineers have been sacked off of one patch in north london. one a very good friend of mine. this can be verified. if as the union guy said it was run nationally, you would expect that more would follow although i have no definitive proof of this, just the word of a union rep.

the charge was not being on the gas safety register, it was for working in competition with british gas as i have already said.

the way it was done as i have already said, the guys were immediately suspended on full pay, they were then wheeled in a week later to make a statement that was taken by an area manager, 2 weeks after this, the guys were then wheeled in to face a couple of managers who sacked them on the spot, if they were caught red handed doiing work outside british gas, that would have been instant dismissal.

i hope someone obviously better connected than namsag would be able to verify that sackings have taken place. i cant name names... obviously because there are laws about these things and it may be the subject of an appeal or industrial tribunal.

there is a lot more to this case, which i wont go into, and as i say i see british gas point of view, i am ex british gas so i know how it works, i am now a site manager and i have obviously got contacts in british gas.

when i worked for british gas, a lot of engineers were doing private work, and they were doing it illegally, because they were not corgi registered, as was then, those guys if they are still doing gas work now and working for british gas are working illegally and still have their jobs, they obviously get their mates to sign the work off. the guys who registered themselves but broke british gas rules have all got the sack. bit weird that.
but hey.. thats life.

just noticed the first post on this topic actually states the fact that engineers have been sacked, have you read this namsag.

jumbo.
You are completly back tracking on your first post , and know saying its hearsay etc from a union rep .
I don`t doubt people have been sacked but this will not be purely for being on GSR site.
Amazing what comes out when you actually sit in on a disiplinary and then what people say afterwards.
My connection is north london so what patch.

and how long ago was your mate sacked

namsag, do you read the posts or not, i have said all along that the 300 engineers remark was made by a union rep. hearsay, yes maybe, but you yourself are telling me that it was your mates in british gas union who said it hasnt happened, is that hearsay as well.

i have saild all along the guys were sacked for working in competition with british gas and not for being on the gsr. although it amounts to the same thing, as there was no proof to that charge, just an assumption. :)

the charge was not being on the gas safety register, it was for working in competition with british gas as i have already said.

seven sisters patch, 2 engineers sacked 2 weeks ago, tip of the iceberg.

here namsag.... wanna bet. :)

I could well imagine that a union rep might well "make up" a figure of 300 being sacked to try to frighten the members into stopping doing work that conflicts with BG work.

When I worked for the BBC there was the "not working for other TV companies" clause and it was very strictly operated although it was primarily aimed at the presenters etc. When a friend of mine, Eugine, got accepted as a Big Brother contestant he had to immediately resign at 24 hours notice from the BBC. Although he came second when he accepted the money and had a few bits and pieces afterwards, he is now struggling to find some broadcast engineering work!

Since we hear of so many people on this forum getting their heating repaired by a BG engineer friend of a friend it must still be very common. I have even come across some boilers fitted by BG people but when it goes wrong they wash their hands of it and must have done the job under a well hidden pseudonym.

A transco van hit the back of my car and the driver dropped some of his private work cards when he was getting out his CORGI card to confirm his identity!

Tony

true event few years ago, pair of sarth london guys doing a private, some toerag robs a shop & runs over to engineer out by van and says "can i have your keys please", in ensueing scuffle the robber gets a good slapping and plod take him away.
The engineers get commendation from plod for being heroes of the day, possible publicity.
Dilemma 1: They have to decide wether or not to inform there FM, they chose to keep him involved.
Dilemma 2: FM know they where doing private does he sit on it or take advise.
Both dilemma's have conseqcences if playing dumb and staying silent or being upfront about it.
End result, one engineer gets dismissed.
Who is to blame, the engineers, the FM or the toerag.

End result, one engineer gets dismissed.

Who is to blame, the engineers, the FM or the toerag.

This must be one of these conundrums where the answer is what you least expected!

The toerag must have been an engineer and when his boss heard about it HE was sacked for stealing in his spare time.

At least he is a polite toerag as he said "please" when he asked for the van keys!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back