British Gas Homecare

I agree with the rayman, Also BG will not take a boiler on if it is obsolete and will inform you when it is on its way out. I,m a customer of there,s and have had no problems with them apart from the call center a minor gripe they normally come out the same day or next at the latest.

Sponsored Links
we arent there to annoy customers we,ll fix it if we can just as long as the customer is happy then so are we, after all with no customers we wouldnt have jobs!

Really that sounds a pretty good deal for the customer!

Not really relevant, but I do wonder how many BG engineers enhance their income by selling spare parts on Ebay. A friend of mine buys about £1000 worth a month and many of them have BG labels on them!

It also worries me that I go to quite a few boilers fitted by BG engineers in their spare time for which they are not correctly CORGI registered.

Worst of all is that I have encountered a few ex-BG engineers who have fitted boilers and not properly commissioned them or even filled in the Benchmark Certificates.

Tony

Agile said:
Not really relevant, but I do wonder how many BG engineers enhance their income by selling spare parts on Ebay. A friend of mine buys about £1000 worth a month and many of them have BG labels on them!

Then they are thieves and should have their knackers crushed in a vice like all thieves. Perhaps you could assist Tony as the only label BG put on the part will include the individual engineers name and pay number.

Agile said:
It also worries me that I go to quite a few boilers fitted by BG engineers in their spare time for which they are not correctly CORGI registered.

I know of a couple but one is individually registered and also signs off for the other one....personally cannot see where they get time.

Agile said:
Worst of all is that I have encountered a few ex-BG engineers who have fitted boilers and not properly commissioned them or even filled in the Benchmark Certificates.

Think that one applies across the board.

Tony

Sponsored Links
my2p worth

we have bg because we couldn't get a heating engineer who actually knew what he was doing (and boy dd we try)

With us they sometimes they did seem to change parts to see if it works /solves problem

it wasnt 'till one bloke came and said his mate said check the over heat stat that all has been well (says breezer touching wood)

it has been serviced once since then, not due for about 4 more months.

the "amusing" thing is those who do come, we usually know by name and how they like their tea.

funny thing is, most are called Tony

Well you have now all confused me throughly. I have a cold radiator downstairs. Will I be able to get them to fix that? I am going to wait a week and then call. As far as I know the boiler was serviced last year and is an Ideal Mexico. Would that be considered too old?

cutiecat said:
Well you have now all confused me throughly. I have a cold radiator downstairs. Will I be able to get them to fix that? I am going to wait a week and then call. As far as I know the boiler was serviced last year and is an Ideal Mexico. Would that be considered too old?

No its fine, virtually nothing installed in the last 30 years is too old for Bg...on the rad it depends, probably best not to mention it on the initial inspection and ring it through as a breakdown a month later.

Ollski - I took out this cover in December and waited in three times for the inspection they never turned up. Then I got annoyed and cancelled the contract and got my money back. I thought better of it when the radiator in the downstairs loo broke down and have just signed up again. I will leave it until the week after next. I am sure they won't have got anyone round for an inspection by then. If they do I will plead ignorance and the sympathy vote with my baby in my arms.

We are a small independant company,trading for 32 years,with many contract customers.I am an ex BG employee{14 years},also I was an employee of Baxi Potterton,Heateam. I see objectives from both sides of the coin.It is easy to pick the usual suspect on a faulty boiler,when time is crucial, and then onto your next job.Whilst employed by major companies,the cost of the part was irrelevant,maybe hit and miss,or following engineer would correct.As a small independant business,when I am am wrong in my diagnosis of a boiler fault, and purchase and fit say an expensive pcb,if the fault persists,the customer does not pay.That really is my my fault,misdiagnosis of the problem,the job still comes back to me.You learn something new everyday,technical helplines,which we have all used in times of duress ,or ,stress are not that good,they almost reply in a mantra ,from a screen.We are only as good as our last job, so really we should not knock an independant .or a BG guy.Remember this is an open forum ,which anyone can view.Also without boiler breakdown,and customers,we are all without work.Apoligies for the long rant.Mike.

Mikeyboy said:
You learn something new everyday
For today, may I respectfully suggest leaving a space after commas and full stops ;) . Good points though.

It must be good in Luton to get the same people coming from BG.

In London the common complaint I hear is that different people come from BG every time and most just change a part which does not fix the fault and they leave and say someone else will come.

Of course I will only hear about the problem visits, not about the other 100 times when they fixed it !

There is certainly a problem with BG on fixing the less common boilers such as the Protherm, Icon, Radiant, Jaguar, Gem etc. I am often called to them after BG have apparently given up.

Tony

Does anyone know if the boiler\heating cover will cover the bit that protects the top of the pipe out of the chimney(cant rember the name flue ???) mine blew off in the wind :mad:

Im on the homecare scheme just want to know if its coverd b4 i booke em out ???

Is it a safety issue with this bit missing ?

ta

An incomplete flue is classed as Immediatly dangerous and a Corgi man would condemn the appliance.

I pressume this is a central heating boiler?

BG by the way do not cover flues on open flue appliances but do on fanned flue applainces

HarrogateGas said:
An incomplete flue is classed as Immediatly dangerous and a Corgi man would condemn the appliance.

I pressume this is a central heating boiler?

BG by the way do not cover flues on open flue appliances but do on fanned flue applainces

its a back boiler and the pipe comes out of the chimney is that a fanned flue ?

No it is open flues.......needs seeing to before the rains come ( or will do some expensive damage)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back