British gas interview

Remember that 5000 think that is is a worthwhile job and some of the earnings we see mentioned here look quite reasonable.

Some of the most disillusioned people will be those who left!

You could also consider their 3 m customers who want a better service from BG.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Bambergaspipe said:
you wont be a bitter and twisted individual like bamber.

Not another BG employee :rolleyes: ( please don`t call me an individual). ;)

afraid so :rolleyes:

why cant i call you an individual? are you a schizophrenic? :eek:

Agile said:
Some of the most disillusioned people will be those who left!

or the uniformed but vocal masses on this forum who seem to know more about it than people who actually work there.

You could also consider their 3 m customers who want a better service from BG.

and seem to be happy to stay there whilst they wait for it.

No, But I am bitter & twisted, & you & the Company you work for are Charlatans.
I know from the over inflated quotes that you give for installations & your company`s policies when visiting customers houses ( sell`em a boiler at any cost). How do I know? My mate`s one of your Managers Sunbeam ;)

Sponsored Links
Bambergaspipe said:
How do I know? My mate`s one of your Managers Sunbeam ;)

Wow you really do have a full and complete insight of the company :D , what would a manager know about the sharp end :?: , not a lot and certainly nowhere near as much as he thinks.
It is such a ridiculous point about sales and all this pressure rubbish. Yes, you are expected to pass a few leads and upgrades through but only when they would be beneficial but are you saying that as a self employed person you don't sell customers anything?. The fact is Bg contracts take on a large amount of rubbish that nobody else will touch in the hope they will get the replacement job when it's required.
The cost of installations varies from dirt cheap to ridiculous but they are quotes and if they are overpriced they don't win the job....what's the problem?

I think this has gone a bit far TBH. I was only looking for a few interview tips and the thread seems to have gone off into orbit :rolleyes:

Good luck and let us know how you get on!

Dont pay too much attention to those above. Just remember the 5000 BG engineers who are happy in their job!

Tony

Some engineers think it`s great some don`t. If it`s what you want go for it and hope you do well.

Bambergaspipe said:

No, But I am bitter & twisted, & you & the Company you work for are Charlatans.
I know from the over inflated quotes that you give for installations & your company`s policies when visiting customers houses ( sell`em a boiler at any cost). How do I know? My mate`s one of your Managers Sunbeam ;)

why is it when a BG engineer is on here everyone instantly assumes he sets the pricing policy of the company?

ill say this clearly once more. :rolleyes: BG's prices are none of my concern......i fix things

your view of the company is one of the tabloid press reading idiot who has no real idea of what he is talking about. like ollski says relying on a BG manager for information on anything is a bad idea. they are the ones asking engineers to do things they have no interest in and managers dont know how to do the job anyway.

ive no idea what "policies" you are talking about either.

gasright. many apologies for hijacking your thread, see my first post for thoughts on your interview and good luck.

Don't get me started about working for Bg, I could go on about how much your monitored, pressurised and hounded on a daily basis, but I won't, I don't want to put you off.
As Agile has already mentioned, 5000 engineers seem to be ok with it, but the only way you'll know for sure what its like, is to take the plunge. Good luck....

Mick

No problem mate, i do understand what your saying re the pressure and stress.

But its something that i don't mind at all :LOL:

Live with my mrs for a week and you'll know all about being hounded, pressure and the need to perform ;)

micktheframer said:
I could go on about how much your monitored, pressurised and hounded on a daily basis, but I won't, I don't want to put you off.
Mick

Its a simple fact of modern life that with computers able to analyse work done that all employees have to accept that they will be monitored and their performance will be documented and they will have targets set.

Most people learn to accept it and work within the system and ensure they keep their efficiency above the average. In many firms those who are least efficient will be warned and if there is no improvement they will be "released".

Tony

Gasright - I don't know anything specific about BG, but can only give you advice from my perspecives & experiences as both interviewee and interviewer.

1. Be punctual & on time. Sounds obvious, but you'll be surprised how many people turn up late for an interview ! If for any reason (roadworks, unforsee road accident, car breaking down, whatever) always have the phone number with you of the person you're meeting and always phone in plenty of time to let them know - its called courtesy, and no-one gets "marked down" for being courteous in my experiences.

2. Be smart & professional. Don't chew gum (seen it) don't come into the interview room eating a burger saying that you were hungry (seen that too !) Turn your mobile OFF whilst being interviewed. If its a suit and tie job, get it right - if a dark suit & dark shoes then white socks only go to prove you're colour blind !

3. Be informed. As another poster has already replied, do your homework about what BG is, who they are, what their corporate & customer service aims are. These days with the internet its so easy, hence there's just no excuse for not doing it, unless you really don't want the job & aren't interested ..... in which case save your time & skip the interview altogether.

4. Ask questions. Stay away from negative questions like "How much holiday do I get", "Do you pay sick pay", "How much notice do you require when leaving" ...[yep, you've guessed it,, I've heard ALL these from interviewees !!] Ask positive questions : "What are the prospects for promotion", " What does BG do to support personal & professional development " as well as near the end the (excellent) suggestion from another poster about why does the interviewer work for BG and what keeps them there !

Most Importantly : Having asked a question, actively LISTEN to the answer. There is no surer way for an interviewer to check if you're really interested & actively participating than to ask a question based on an answer you gave 5 mins ago ....

If you are a nervous type of person and feel intimidated when being interviewed, try to relax. Smile & sit upright. If there's more than 1 person asking you questions, look towards each person when you answer them, not into your lap or 'off into space'.

Try to answer each question immediately without thinking about it and starting the answer with an 'er' or an 'um'. Rolling your eyes upwards slightly (or looking up to the right, eyebrows raised) before answering is a bit of a giveaway that you may be making up a bit of the answer.

If you don't know - then say you don't know, but show interest by asking the interviewer to explain the question and try to get a mini-conversation about that specific question started. This proves that you can engage with people and are not an introvert.

Above all- go in to the interview with a positive frame of mind as if you are going into something which you REALLY ENJOY. Sounds a bit daft, but it can make a lot of difference. People like people who are relaxed, smiling & confident (but not over-confident & comatose :) )

Let us know how you get on.

Have a look under Google for BG and print off the info you find, then read it offline when you'll not be disturbed

Good luck !

Thats a lot of very helpful advice!

I can add something else if you are not totally confident and few of us are.

Go to a park bench, anywhere quiet but not at home as you need to be in a strange environment. Take a dog if you have one. Make a list of the questions you know you may be asked, previous, why you want the job, last repair you did etc.

Then tell the dog or the tree or the bench OUT ALOUD the answer just as if you were in the interview. Then do each question again and again until you can clearly and confidently give the answers. Repeat that every day until the interview.

I know its not fair as the others will be um-ing and ar-ring while you will be word perfect but thats what actors do.

Tony

An excellent tip from Agile ..... good one Tony.

Yep,its basically 'role play'.

We used to do something similar when I worked (briefly) for a main car dealerership and it was a quiet day. One salesperson 'pretends' to be a customer, and other sales people practice at dealing with him/her.

Angry customers, irate customers, confused customers, customers who didn't know what they wanted !

It was great fun BUT also highly educational. Like Agile says, its basically practicing, like actors. When you got an angry customer 'for real' you felt more confident in dealing with the situation as you knew many of their attacks before they came, and knew how to answer each one effectively, quickly, promptly & courteously.

After a while we all ENJOYED dealing with angry, irate people - it was just so easy to sell them a car !

Anything which makes you more confident that the majority, and better suited to answer an interviewer promptly and in a prepared manner stands you in better stead than most.

Good one Agile :)

Hilti68 (also a Tony)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back