British Gas - not allowed to leave old parts on site?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is this true or just a scam to avoid showing the customer the perfectly good part that's taken out, or maybe to take it back for refurb?

I asked for my old HE to be left: "Sorry mate, I'll be disciplined (ooer) if I do that".

Or am I paranoid? :eek:

Sponsored Links
Quite simply he is stealing your property, exactly the same as if he'd walked off with your silver.

Sponsored Links
didn't it sort the problem? if ya don't trust um don't use um! :confused:

That's a different question gaz.

If the client wants the old parts and the engineer refuses to let him have them, it's stealing, and applies to anyone, not just BG.

Thats only if the agreement is that the parts are left.

In the very rare case that I have to fit a new plate then I give an allowance on the old part as I can use it for a quick change after cleaning.

In any case cleaning is messy and best not done on a customer's property.

It also is easier to to keep to time schedules and saves parking costs if I can just replace a part.

Tony

DIA is spot on

the spare part is theproperty of the punter and NOT BG so unless they have their express permission to remove it they will be in breach of the Theft Act

:)

Basic definition of theft

The basic definition of theft is defined in S.1(1) of the Act.

The Act states that

A person shall be guilty of theft if he dishonestly appropriates property belonging to another with the intention of permanently depriving the other of it.

I dont agree that will usually apply with BG.

If they are charging specifically for the new part then I do agree they should leave the old one if asked.

However, if parts are being replaced under an insurance like cover then I would expect that specific agreement will probably say that replaced parts will be removed ( mostly to satisfy the customer that old parts are not left lying about.

In any case I would expect any well managed companies to require replaced parts of any specific value would be required to ensure staff are not pilfering new parts.

Tony

In a nutshell, I have a BG Homecare agreement, engineer decided boiler needed new hot water plate. Fair do's problem solved, but I had to pay £200 S&F outside agreement cos he said it was scaled up, but didn't seem able to explain whether he meant scale on mains side or gunk in system.

One is covered by my agreement, one isn't...

when you price for a new heating install, you can include in your price/ T&C's that all redundant pipe/cylinder etc will be removed from site as per prior agreement and will become your property, if prior agreement it is part of your price, but i dont know what the agreement is with BG and their customers, putting the boot on the other foot, what would you say if the BG guy left 4 old many rads out your back for you to take to the dump.

In a nutshell, I have a BG Homecare agreement, engineer decided boiler needed new hot water plate. Fair do's problem solved, but I had to pay £200 S&F outside agreement cos he said it was scaled up, but didn't seem able to explain whether he meant scale on mains side or gunk in system.

One is covered by my agreement, one isn't...

as far as iam aware neither are covered by your agreement.

No they aren't allowed to leave the old part, it's classed as industrial trade waste and has to be disposed of as such.Bg have previously been fined big fines for old parts finding their way to domestic tips...it doesn't matter if they put them there or you. They are also replacing a part not selling you a new one which means they take one and leave one...up to you which ;)

They are also replacing a part not selling you a new one which means they take one and leave one...up to you which ;)

The customer paid for the old part and has paid for the new part; they both belong to him. If he wants it, it is not for BG to decide he can't have it. If the customer wants to recycle or reuse it, then it is not waste.

Let's just state the unpalatable facts on this one. The heat exchanger had probably scaled up on the DHW side because there was no scale prevention device fitted on the cold water supply, the same as on most combis. If he's in a hard water area, that would probably contravene the manufacturer's installation instructions. If the customer were allowed to keep his heat exchanger, he would probably work out that it could be descaled and that its failure was due to negligence. He'd then start reading the very small print on his policy. Can't have that now, can we?

ok in this case yes he has bought a part but bg still won't leave it due to the trade waste issue, they were fined 20k for a used part found in a domestic tip. There was no argument to how it got there purely the fact that trade waste was in a domestic.

Not sure why bg would care about hiding it scale isn't covered nor sludge nor do they have any responsibility to provide protection devices. Both can be cleaned out if you can really be bothered but bg dont do that so quoted for the service they offer.

Theft etc seems a fair point, but I fear the issue of trade waste makes perfect sense. In dentistry we have to account for every snotrag that leaves the premises.

Pity he didn't explain that rather than leave me suspicious

Thanks to all!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back