British Gas trainees and wages

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone know what the pay is like, i now it starts at 11.5Kish, is that for 18months (the length of the training) or for the first 6,8, 12 months etc?

Sponsored Links
The wages go up per year; the current rate is varied on the current pay structure; when qualified you go onto an "improver" rate and when they say you're good enough; you finally get onto an Engineer's salary - Well that's what it was like when I done mine with them 4/5 year's ago...

You find most apprentices in the London area leave after the first 14 months of coming into the engineer bracket due to a more competitive salary with other firms and of course the dreaded Hestia system... But that's your choice.

Now... What has this got to do with DIY exactly?

This plumbing forum is so good and sometimes too techy that it has become more than a diy forum (to me) it is simpy the best information base for diy and professional plumbers.
IMHO

Sponsored Links
Yeah seen that. But someone said that it goes up in steps 11.8k - 17k - 22k - 25k (improver). just wondering where the 17k AND 22K come in.
(for a traineeship and not an apprenticship)

bster said:
Yeah seen that. But someone said that it goes up in steps 11.8k - 17k - 22k - 25k (improver). just wondering where the 17k AND 22K come in.
(for a traineeship and not an apprenticship)
22k is for a servicing engineer and 25k is for a technical engineer or basically somebody who can supposedly repair aswell

I've been told by a BG employee (whilst in college, today) that the rates applied to a Trainee Servicing Fitter.

Definalty not. You dont think a trainee is gonna get paid 25k or even 22k do you :?: :LOL:

It was only a 15minute chat so cant remember exactly but he said that it was 22k 12months after the 18month training. though i may have this completly wrong. - any newly qualified trainee BG engineers out there?

fraid not but you have 2 options. One is to go on an apprentiship and sit on the lowest rate during training (2 yr I think) then you get the next rate up after you pass your acs then goes up again after a 3 months period on the patch then I think a few months later when your performance is adequate you get full rate.
Or you could go in as an adult trainee at about 17k, it is a 10 month course after which you will come out as a servicing eng. on about 22k. If you are lucky you may get an upgrade course the completion of which will put you on 28ish, no guarantee you will be upgraded though.

ollski said:
adult trainee at about 17k, it is a 10 month course after which you will come out as a servicing eng. on about 22k. If you are lucky you may get an upgrade course the completion of which will put you on 28ish, no guarantee you will be upgraded though.

Can you give a bit more information on the progression and timescales from 22k onwards? Is your 28ish the "25k" mentioned above?

Are all these outside London figures with a weighting of about 4k ?

Tony

Tony I think it must be because the guys up north here are def not on 28k. :eek:
Think its 25600 now or somewhere abouts, but its a long time since I worked for em.
Used to get paid weekly back then, cash at the office on a friday :p

Stan

Things might have moved on a bit since cash payments every Friday.

Reminds me of first job with GEC. There was a late book which you filled in if you arrived after 8 am. At 8.10 the book was removed!

That was for the technical staff, the workers had to clock on with a card!

Still remember that lady on the vacuum pumps with holes in her dress!

Tony

Agile said:
ollski said:
adult trainee at about 17k, it is a 10 month course after which you will come out as a servicing eng. on about 22k. If you are lucky you may get an upgrade course the completion of which will put you on 28ish, no guarantee you will be upgraded though.

Can you give a bit more information on the progression and timescales from 22k onwards? Is your 28ish the "25k" mentioned above?

Are all these outside London figures with a weighting of about 4k ?

Tony

Yes Tony the 28ish is the 25.6 plus the standard on call, weekend and shift premiums. To be honest I never grossed less than 37k...but then I worked hard!. Most of the London guys were over 40k without much extra graft.
If you remain as a servicing engineer on 22 then it doesn't progress to anymore unless you take the upgrade course in which case you go onto full rate as soon as you complete the 3 month course.

I have a few mates who work there.

They are both earning over 30k.

They only work 4 day weeks for 6 months a year so they just work the day off as overtime.

And thats up north.

Sponsored Links
Back