British Gas

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in rented accommodation and my Gas account is showing as £188.65 in credit with another Direct Debit payment of £65 to be paid next week.

I read that once it goes over £100 they automatically refund me. I have rang them twice and they say they can't until my next bill

ARGGGGHHHHHHH

Sponsored Links
I don't see why they can't refund the money, but you must be paying too much money for your usage and the warmer weathers hopefully going to be with us, so I suggest you reduce your payments, better in your pocket then theirs.

Then ring them back and tell them you are going to complain to OFGAS AND drag them into the Small Claims Court as you are legally entitled to your £100 back, in cheque form or by BACS transfer. Dont take no for an answer, ask for a supervisor or manager, you have an absolute right to the £100. You can also ring Consumer Direct for more info on 08454 040506

Sponsored Links
and in the winter... your monthly bill will not go up... could be something to do with the COLD....

if they are unhelpful, you can cancel your direct debit (by writing to your bank, or online) and send BG a lertter saying that you have done it, and why, and that you are not in the business of making interest-free loans to utility companies. Make no further payments until you have used up yopur credit balance, or they have refunded it to you.

If your next direct debit is due next week, I would cancel it now.

When is your next gas bill due?

do you monitor your account on http://www.britishgas.co.uk/ ?
I do, and I enter my accurate meter reading at least once a month. You can view your meter reading online.

How long have you been a BG customer? Have you got a year's worth of bills and meter readings yet?

BG are notorious for hamnging onto their customers money, making excessive direct debits, and refusing to pay it back.

I read in "Which" that you can insist on setting your own direct debit amount (e.g. £25 a month) and they can't force you to pay more, although they will try to make you think you can't do that.

So I just cancelled my direct debit, as described above. You still get a Prompt Payment Discount if you pay your quarterly bill on time, not sure how it compares with the Directy Debit Discount.

BTW in your own time, check with one of the Switch sites to see if you can get a better deal from another supplier. If you are on BG standard tariff, it is almost certain to be the most expensive for gas.

BTW in your own time, check with one of the Switch sites to see if you can get a better deal from another supplier. If you are on BG standard tariff, it is almost certain to be the most expensive for gas.

it is a rented property....

:rolleyes: I'd like to see the contract that says so

No doubt obmcfc had the sense to take the meter readings when he took possession, and told the utility companies that he was the new tenant with responsibility from that point.

How else would they know who to take the Direct Debit from? :rolleyes:

Thanks for all the replies guys

It is rented property, I have been in it 18 months and had the meters read the day I moved it, there were no outstanding bills

Payment and bill both due next week, going to wait until that bill has been sent and the payment been made then ask for the balance

Latest update, check my balance online today and it had jumped from £188 in credit to £111 debit

No idea what happened, rang them and bloke hadn't a clue why, he is to investigate and ring me back

...do you monitor your account on http://www.britishgas.co.uk/ ?

I do, and I enter my accurate meter reading at least once a month. You can view your meter reading online.

... Have you got a year's worth of bills and meter readings yet?

I do monitor my account online JohnD, I have checked my meter readings (going to do one tonight) and have 15 months worth of bills and readings

Also my tarriff has changed from yesterday but bloke on phone was saying that on his screen everything was as it was yesterday

£188 credit .....

online was £111 debit

Sponsored Links
Back