BritishGas - I'm loosing the will to live

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This past two weeks, my account with BG has shown no less than six different amounts I am in debit or credit with them. Worst was almost £500 in debit, best was a few moments ago which showed me to be £220 in credit, yet I have paid them nowt. It's almost as if they are just taking a stab in the dark as to my bills, yet they have constantly updated meter readings to work with, this after just being forced to pay me compensation by the Ombudsman, for the chaos.

Sponsored Links
Are you on a smart meter or giving them manual readings? When you say 'constantly updated meter readings', if you're doing it manually how often are you providing them with updates? That might just be part of the issue if you're in a sense providing updates too frequently?

Are you on a smart meter or giving them manual readings? When you say 'constantly updated meter readings', if you're doing it manually how often are you providing them with updates? That might just be part of the issue if you're in a sense providing updates too frequently?
MY SIL has a smart meter, the other day it said she had used £39,000 of gas in a day. Smart meters are a waste of time and are a factor in the excessive price you pay for gas.

MY SIL has a smart meter, the other day it said she had used £39,000 of gas in a day. Smart meters are a waste of time and are a factor in the excessive price you pay for gas.
Now and again I get the card through the door 'we'll be in your area next week installing gas meters ...' blah blah blah. I live alone and know that my energy consumption is close if not completely as low as it can be. I don't need a smart meter to help me in that task. If there are other advantages, fine, however I'll still wait until they're mandatory.

Sponsored Links
If there are other advantages, fine,
Other?

I only see one advantage and it's that they send the info' direct to the gas company and no need for meter reader, access to your home etc.

Absolute boon. Or info' thingy is shut away in a cupboard somewhere and was never the reason for requesting a SM.

Must've been a massive dinner!

Other?

I only see one advantage and it's that they send the info' direct to the gas company and no need for meter reader, access to your home etc.

Absolute boon. Or info' thingy is shut away in a cupboard somewhere and was never the reason for requesting a SM.
Yes, I typed if there are other advantages, fine.

The 'if' implies I'm neither saying there are or aren't other advantages to smart meters. I'm simply saying if there are, fine.

It takes me 5 mins if that to nip out, take gas reading, take elec reading in cupboard and upload numbers on supplier website. Not really a hardship to do this quarterly.

Other?

meter reader still needs access to your home once every 2 years which with at present is about the same as many companies turn up to read

Have just checked on BG website .
Don't know what the hell is going on here when I only use 1300 kWh per year and they this is my usage so far this year

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221010-191904.png
    Screenshot_20221010-191904.png
    70.1 KB · Views: 45

Up until several months ago, I was feeding them manual weekly readings, because they claimed my smarts were not compatible. Then they found they could read my gas meter, stopped me feeding those in, but claimed they still could not read my electric meter, though weeks later they put a stop to my being able to feed in reading and seemed to be reading it after all. It has been a totally chaotic ride with them, since they picked my supply up from my supplier going bust. Numerous bills announced, then immediately cancelled from their website, limited access to my account on their site. Plus a sum owed to me by my previous supplier, which BG were supposed to credit, but still haven't.

Since when, they were supposed to only take £40pm dd for two months, but the £40 remains in place months later and nowt I can do to change it, unless they make a determined effort to sort my account out.

My readings and the smart reading they have acquired since, seemed to be correct, at least when I can access that page on the site, so no excuse for the bills to be appearing, then being constantly cancelled on their site. You would think having had their wrists slapped by the Ombudsman, they would make the small effort needed to provide a proper, accurate bill.

Similar here. I'm supposedly on fixed direct debit billing: but BG keep changing it!

Not just me then?

Have just checked on BG website .
Don't know what the hell is going on here when I only use 1300 kWh per year and they this is my usage so far this year

Have they got you mixed up with the supply to a gas powered generating station?

I think they are all on drugs at British Gas as I'm having similar problems: different readings every time I look at my accounts. They say I haven't got a direct debit set up yet I've had one for donkey's years. They have a new look website so I assume things are getting mixed up in the transfer from old website to new website.

I'm not bothered, it will right itself eventually.

Worst was almost £500 in debit, best was a few moments ago which showed me to be £220 in credit, yet I have paid them nowt.

and today it has changed yet again from £220 in credit, to me owing them £2.88 an amount I have seen previously. The bills page shows an amount owing for the 3rd Oct of £74.41 with a link adjacent to it, to download and view that actual bill. Click the download link and a bill appears showing I owe them £2.88, but rather than the 3rd Oct the bill is suggested to cover June and July. Numerous bills added to the list of bills I can review, but all (including yesterdays £220 credit - marked 'bill cancelled and replaced', so I cannot even look at them.

I simply cannot make head nor tail of any of their bills.

Sponsored Links
Back