Case against British Gas [Update]

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would just like let everyone know...

I won my Ombudsman case against BG, they have to pay me compensation, write a letter of apology to me for their shortfalls in the service, and lack of communication, plus I would assume provide adequate communication in their future dealings with me.

The problem was that BG took up my energy supply, when my previous supplier failed, beginning over Christmas 2021 and into 2022. Since when, despite being in credit up to BG's take over, it has been complete chaos and no sensible communication from BG in regards to anything, least of all where my credit had gone. Numerous bills issued by BG then promptly cancelled, without explanation.

Sponsored Links
They were all a bit sh!t at taking over the accounts of collapsed companies.

Octopus (Which? rated) took over from my supplier Iresa. Despite having firm evidence of my credit, I had to wrangle and bargain with them after a ridiculously low initial "offer".

I eventually got the amount of credit I was owed, but I can well imagine some not being able to face the fight, which is very wrong.

I eventually got the amount of credit I was owed, but I can well imagine some not being able to face the fight, which is very wrong.

Customers should not have to fight for what they are owed. The new company is picking up a large batch of customers, on condition that the credit is preserved. If they are failing to do that, then a complaint ought to be raised with the Ombudsman.

It's a simple enough process, you just fill a form in detailing your complaint and your attempts to resolve it with the company - I wasn't able to get any sensible exchange going with BG, because they hide behind an immensely frustrating web messaging service, no phone number, no email address for proper contact. The Ombudsman accepted that BG were difficult to contact, made no attempt to keep me updated, and kept presenting me with bills on their website, which days later were taken back down because they were simply wrong. As evidence of the deleted bills, I included a screen grab of the page which listed them.

The only evidence BG were able offer, of their attempts to keep me in the loop, was copies of the bills.

Sponsored Links
Back