Broag Remeha Avanta or Worcester Bosch or Vokera ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, nice to meet you all. I have a Glowworm EP40f boiler that has been in for approx 12 - 13 years and has been trouble free up until now.
The fuse has gone twice and it sounds like the fan might be on it's way out and causing the fuse to blow.
We have been recommended to change the boiler. 3 brands have been recommended. Broag Remeha Avanta, Worcester Bosch cdi, or Vokera.
Not sure what to do really. Is it worth replacing the fan on this boiler, or is it best just to change it. I am aware that the fan assembly costs approx 150.00 plus fitting, however is it possible for a gas engineer to diagnose which part within the boiler is causing the fuse to go ?

Sponsored Links
Is it worth replacing the fan on this boiler, or is it best just to change it. I am aware that the fan assembly costs approx 150.00 plus fitting, however is it possible for a gas engineer to diagnose which part within the boiler is causing the fuse to go ?
From the purely financial point of view, there is no benefit to be gained from putting in a new boiler if the old one can be repaired for about £200. You will save some money on gas and you will contribute towards "saving the planet", but you will never recoup the outlay on a new boiler.

A good independent heating engineer will be able to diagnose the cause of the problem and suggest a remedy. Ask friends and neighbours for recommendations or use TrustMark
(government sponsored) to find one.

fix it. . get a boiler repair engineer not a plumber, someone who'll guarantee the fix.

Statistically if the fuse supplies the pump then its far more likely to be the pump and in my experience by about 30:1 !

However, I dont think the Trustmark suggested above is the best way to find someone suitable. Firstly its a Government scheme which never really took off and it may already be closed to new listings. Furthermore only larger companies are listed and their charges are bound to be far higher as they have shareholders and big overheads. They only list plumbers rather than boiler engineers or heating engineers.

Tony

Sponsored Links
However, I dont think the Trustmark suggested above is the best way to find someone suitable.
Presumably because you are not on the scheme. :eek:

Firstly its a Government scheme which never really took off and it may already be closed to new listings.
Wrong.

Furthermore only larger companies are listed and their charges are bound to be far higher as they have shareholders and big overheads.
Wrong

They only list plumbers rather than boiler engineers or heating engineers.
Wrong

There are currently 16,325 registered members for all trades. During January 244,403 searches were made by the public of which PLUMBERS were 17,452 and HEATING ENGINEERS were 9575.

You really should check your facts before making such sweeping statements.

I have to disagree with you.

I looked at their list of trades and there was nothing under boilers so I looked at "Plumbers" as the heating heading seemed unlikely as they did not list boilers.

Out of the first 46 listings for heating engineers 40 were limited companies and members of the HVCA or the FMB. Both those organisations have very high subscriptions that no small firms would want to pay.

Only larger companies are going to be able to afford to be a member of the HVCA as they are targeted towards the larger contractor with a turnover of £250k upwards and the fees seem to start at a lot more than Gas Safe.

The OP only needs a very simple boiler repair which is typical of what a sole trader or very small firm would do.

Tony

I looked at their list of trades and there was nothing under boilers so I looked at "Plumbers" as the heating heading seemed unlikely as they did not list boilers.
You don't credit the average customer with much intelligence, then. Do you really expect someone who has a problem with their boiler not to realize that they should look under central heating, or possibly plumber? It would be like saying there should be a separate category for toilets and showers!

Out of the first 46 listings for heating engineers 40 were limited companies and members of the HVCA or the FMB. Both those organisations have very high subscriptions that no small firms would want to pay.
Just because the firm is a limited company, it does not mean they are large organizations with thousands of shareholders; they could be one-man bands. Membership of Trustmark is via membership of a "scheme operator", which includes HVCA and FMB. You don't have to pay two subscriptions.

HVCA membership fees are based on your turnover.

Only larger companies are going to be able to afford to be a member of the HVCA as they are targeted towards the larger contractor with a turnover of £250k upwards and the fees seem to start at a lot more than Gas Safe.
Where did you get that idea from? There is nothing on the HVCA website about the actual fees.

What is the relevance of Gas Safe? It's not a case of either HVCA or Gas Safe. One is obligatory if you want to work on gas appliances, the other is voluntary.

HVCA contact me from time to time to encourage joining their organisation its primarily targetted towards large contractors. Subs used to start at about £600pa.

I have spent a lot of time with the telephone directory reps investigating where people look when they want a particular job done.

The directories list three main headings, Boilers, central heating and plumbing.

By a factor of about 10:1 most householders look under plumbing. The remainder about 2:1 between central heating and boilers.

To the average householder they need a "plumber" to fix their boiler.

Tony

as an installer i would look at the broag and worc.any decent plumber/gas fitter would be able to repair your boiler,if it was mine i would repair rather than replace modern boilers are not quite as reliable as older models.very few gas engineers are actually engineers by the real definition of engineer,most registered plumbers /gas fitters would have no problem tracing and repairing your boiler fault.

HVCA contact me from time to time to encourage joining their organisation its primarily targetted towards large contractors. Subs used to start at about £600pa.
I agree that does sound a lot of money for a one-man band, but I suppose it all depends on what you get for your investment. I would have thought that the ability to offer your customers a "free six-year warranty on domestic installations that complies with the criteria established by TrustMark" would be a sufficient incentive.

Some local authorities are now becoming "scheme operators" and you can join in that way, but you have to work in the LA area.

By a factor of about 10:1 most householders look under plumbing. The remainder about 2:1 between central heating and boilers.

To the average householder they need a "plumber" to fix their boiler.
I'm not surprised. :LOL:

D.Hailsham wrote

"free six-year warranty on domestic installations that complies with the criteria established by TrustMark" would be a sufficient incentive.

Some local authorities are now becoming "scheme operators" and you can join in that way, but you have to work in the LA area.

What do you have to offer a 6 year warranty on ???

D.Hailsham wrote

"free six-year warranty on domestic installations that complies with the criteria established by TrustMark" would be a sufficient incentive.

What do you have to offer a 6 year warranty on ???
I'm sorry if you are confused, but the two things are not connected. The six year warranty is an HVCA thing.

All members of the HVCA are automatically Trustmark registered, and one of the "perks" of membership is that they can give their customers a free six year warranty. Presumably part of the membership fee goes toward a bulk insurance policy purchased by HVCA.

You can also join Trustmark via the HVCA without becoming a member of HVCA. But you would not get the six year warranty perk.

HVCA Trust Mark

If you join Trust Mark via a local authority or another scheme provider, you will not be able to offer customers this warranty.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back