Broken attachment when taking off radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, Me and the hubby were unscrewing the nut the holds the thermostatic valve to the radiator and we think we have bent/broken it. It is the brass nut the sits between the copper pipe and the rest of the valve bit. It is sitting slanted and allowing water to drip out slowly. We can't get the nut off though. We are not sure how to go about fixing it, because it is not straight it is not making a perfect connection when screwed in. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Sponsored Links
Sounds like you've cross-threaded it.
Two options:
1) undo it and hope it will go back on properly
2) replace it by cutting the copper, putting in a short piece of copper to replace the copper you cut off and fit a new valve.

Sounds like you've cross-threaded it.
Two options:
1) undo it and hope it will go back on properly
2) replace it by cutting the copper, putting in a short piece of copper to replace the copper you cut off and fit a new valve.

As always, a picture is worth a thousand words.

Erm let me figure out how to post a pic and I will show you guys.

Sponsored Links
mrwbk2.jpg

It is the nut at the bottom that connects to the copper pipe. The whole valve is now sitting slanted.

It's the whole thing that's cock-eyed.
If you've crimped the olive onto the pipe like that I think a hacksaw might be needed!

It is an odd looking TRV.

Here is the side view. I think we have either bent the bent when try to unscrew the nut that connects to the radiator or as previously mentioned we have moved it off the thread. Also we have put a cap on the end (left) as we couldn't seem to shut the valve off 100%.

11sdpig.jpg

Any any case will we have to cut the pipe? Can we do that ourselves (ie what does it involve) or will we need a plumber? Thanks!

This damage is easily done, when the valve isn't held upright when it is disconnected from the radiator.
I'm afraid that kinked bit will give trouble, so its time to cut the pipe back and introduce a new short length of copper. You can use a compression fitting (not the neatest) but it saves soldering which needs the pipe to be completely dry.
The system will need to be drained down for this.
John :)

Thanks John. The nut was on so tight that when my hubby went to unscrew it he applied a bit too much uneven force. We will know for next time :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back