Broken door bell - help to exchange to new one

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there.
So my door bell broke, and so I replaced the push button thinking that this was the issue. Turns out it wasn't.
I have purchased a new chime but the wiring doesn't quite match the old chime box. Can anyone help identify which wires are which? They are all white

Thanks

Attachments

• 15622342733191355665610872962092.jpg
    15622342733191355665610872962092.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 866
  • 1562234407240714973170637352764.jpg
    1562234407240714973170637352764.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 380
Sponsored Links
Old one is powered from a transformer located somewhere else. New one has the transformer in the same box.
Not possible to fit the new without extensive alterations to the wiring.

Take that one back, and get this instead:
https://www.toolstation.com/mains-battery-doorbell/p54078
Wiring in that will be identical to the old one. Just make a note of which wire connects to which number terminal before removing.

Assuming it's the actual chime that's failed, and not the transformer.

So my door bell broke, and so I replaced the push button thinking that this was the issue. Turns out it wasn't.

It is a good (excellent even) idea to find out what the fault is before spending money on replacing non faulty items.

What makes you think the chime is faulty?

Better to spend your money on a multimeter so you can diagnose the fault.

Sponsored Links
Look at the picture.

Thanks for all your comments.
I have power reaching my new bush button, which is seen by its light function. As seen in the picture, there seems to be some melting and discoloration to what I thought was the transformer. This is why I believe it is no longer working and the unit needs replacing.

The light is not wired like a normal light, its actually in series with the Ding Dong bell, though that being lit, does indicate the circuit is sound.
Does the light go OFF when you push the button, it should do.

Thats a good sign usually, however you need something to test the voltage really.
Measuring between the 2 white single wires at the chime with someone pushing the button on and off.
Have you located the actual transformer.
Really you need to determine whether its the chime or the transformer at fault.
Usually with them ding dongs, from behind you can see the shaft that pops out and hits the soundbar, then pops back and hits the second one, this is usually spring loaded and able to move freely by hand, worth checking it moves

Usually with them ding dongs, from behind you can see the shaft that pops out and hits the soundbar, then pops back and hits the second one, this is usually spring loaded and able to move freely by hand, worth checking it moves

To my eyes, it looks as if the plastic of the chime has suffered some heat distortion - possibly the result of the button being left in a shorted condition for an extended period. That would likely jam the plunger.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back