Broken Drain Query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks to a blocked drain getting power jetted, I have discovered my drain is broken and leaking.

The break is where my cast downpipe/wastepipe joins the clay/stone drain. The collar is broken and when I looked at it, there were rags wrapped round it and jammed into the gaps. They weren't working.

I have packed the gaps with putty just now so that we can at least flush the toilet but obviously I have to rectify it ASAP.

I don't know how far the main pipe goes so I don't know how much pipe would need to be replaced, if the whole thing needed replacing. But my question is, can this be sorted without replacing the entire stone pipe?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Whatever you do work carefully, both cast and especially the salt glazed (clay) pipes are very brittle, and disturb the salt glazed too much and you will end up replacing more, often the surrounding soil is all that is holding it together.

I'd start by carefully exposing as much of that broken collar as possible and give yourself enough room to get access with an angle grinder. Carefully cut remainder of broken collar off where it meets the pipe, assuming it doesn't crack the pipe, then you should be able to join the cast back to the clay using a Fernco type collar. Rubber sleeve with jubilee clips, slip it carefully over one pipe, then slide it back to cover the join and tighten clips to seal.

If this wont work, then use 2 Fernco's and replace the clay as far as required with plastic, (you'll still have to chop a collar off or cut a pipe to achieve a spigoted end to connect to though.) Wherever you cut, grind off any sharp edges to avoid material catching in the drain, treat cut/broken clayware with caution though, edges can be as sharp as broken glass! :eek:

Excellent, thanks for that. Sounds like a silly question but how does a collar connect 2 pipes of such different diameters? I had always understood those collars to connect 2 identical pipes.

Need to get the right coupling for the application. Fernco make a sizeable range, with different diameters at each end to suit such requirements as this. Measure external diameters of both pipes and take them along with you to help size what you require. :)

Sponsored Links
That all sounds a bit straight forward :) the cast enters the pipe at a slight angle - could the coupling cope with that?

Also, can you get these from local plumb stores?

If you have a 4" bore drain there is another way to join. I once replaced some salt glazed drainage with PVC but found myself taking out a couple of lengths of salt glazed until I found one intact! - Then using the saltglazed collar I used made a connection using a similar fitting to a Floplast SP107 which fits in the collar. However I think the rubber sleeves may be more convenient.

Thanks again. I've just been outside and it has spewed all over the shop so I need to do this urgently. Will try sleeve.

thanks

Couplers are rubber, will cope with slight flexing. Will need a Builders or Plumbers merchants, wont find a range (if any at all) in DIY outlets.

Temporary fix, wrap a plastic sack, (type you get sand/ballast etc in, not a bin liner!) around the break and secure it with decent twine or wire. Should stop the worst of the mess until you can fix it properly. ;)

Take pics when its done and post back on here, will help someone else.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back