Brown, Blue, Black and G/Y flex?

Sponsored Links
Flex of course in commonly used on central heating systems, in fact many use it for the entire length of the roomstat and all that, to save joining from flat to flex when entering boilers etc.

Traditionally, every piece of central heating would require a neutral.

I'll double check what colour is in my current roll of 4 core flex.

Sponsored Links
I suppose some tank stats could make use of some 4 core flex without needing a blue.

Flex of course in commonly used on central heating systems ...
Indeed, and that is just one example of those situations I mentioned in which one wants N, L and S/L (plus CPC) - for which 'three L colours' (brown/black/grey) is, in my opinion, not ideal.

Let's face it, certainly if it's fixed wiring, if we want to be regs-compliant, we'd have to 'create a blue for ourselves' (by over-sleeving).

Kind Regards, John

Indeed, and that is just one example of those situations I mentioned in which one wants N, L and S/L (plus CPC) - for which 'three L colours' (brown/black/grey) is, in my opinion, not ideal.

Let's face it, certainly if it's fixed wiring, if we want to be regs-compliant, we'd have to 'create a blue for ourselves' (by over-sleeving).

Kind Regards, John
As I say I'd be interested if anyone has a good source for brown/black/blue/green & yellow butyl flex for dual element immersion heaters. As most of these that I am dealing with are across the border remarking a conductor blue for neutral is a rule breach and a prohibited practice.

It used to be easy to get here but newer stock in the wholesalers all appears to be in phase colours now (apart from some non-heat resistant flex available in those colours).

I'd rather not have to travel to Dublin to get it if possible.

Last edited:
As I illustrated, the first one in your list only seem to offer brown/black/grey +G/Y. I don't use any of your others.

Kind Regards, John
I didn't read the description but I thought the picture looks like it's blue and I have certainly purchased with blue from TLC.
No I don't use the others either, I simply googled for 4 core flex and looked at the pics.

As I say I'd be interested if anyone has a good source for brown/black/blue/green & yellow butyl flex for dual element immersion heaters. As most of these that I am dealing with are across the border remarking a conductor blue for neutral is a rule breach and a prohibited practice.

It used to be easy to get here but newer stock in the wholesalers all appears to be in phase colours now (apart from some non-heat resistant flex available in those colours).
Easy, use 5 core.

This offcut of SY came 'off the shelf without preordering from CEF in 2017 for connexions between VSD's and Fans.
IMG_20190901_210401.jpg

Another one for Ristard.
I've just had to replace a damaged plug on an extension lead.
This happens to be the last 25m or so of a drum of 2.5mm² butyl that I purchased from Newies in July 2018.
Ironically most of the original use was 3ph and I had to over sleeve with brown.
Even more ironic, grey silicon sleeves are easier to source than brown...
IMG_20190919_112330.jpg

PATing and putting cables away for the winter.
This 4G1.5 rubber was purchased during the summer for loudspeakers, knowing where the job was my colleague would have got it from one of: Newies, city, RB Star, TLC or Edwardes. Some was used for this extention lead.
IMG_20190919_180513.jpg
6mm² Brown twin with a ribbed polarity ident.
Grey/Blue 10mm² twin easy to source but Brown/Blue or Brown/Grey are not so easy.
IMG_20190919_180550.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back