BS 7671 Rules on Joining Cables.

Softus said:
Lectrician said:
Use a JB and be done with it. I would prefer that than a rubbishy heat-shrunk joint.
I'm curious, having noticed that most electricians believe a crimped connection to more reliable and longer lasting than a joint made in a screw terminal.

Lectrician - is your experience the opposite to that of most other electricians on the forum?

I have no problems with a crimped joint - ideal. It's the heat shrink I don't like. It has no BS number in terms of re-providing a sheath. Enclose the crimped joint in an adaptable gewiss-type box by all means.

I believe it is "frowned upon" to use compression type plumbing fittings beneath a floor - joints should be soldered, and preferably bends pulled by hand. Im no plumber though.......

Sponsored Links
No offence meant, but the analogy is flawed.

I assume, with electrical fittings, that safety is paramount, but with plumbing the the choice of plumbing fitting is a balance of compromises.

As well as all of the things I listed, cost is also a factor (both in price of materials and cost of deploying them).

Softus said:
I assume, with electrical fittings, that safety is paramount

Is this not the same with gas, which is why compression fittings are not allowed if not readily accesible?

I may be well off the mark here, but this is my understanding of things.

A screwed joint may loosen over time through vibration and the like, but a crimped or soldered joint should be fine

A coleague of mine was called to a night club, after some of the lights had stopped working.
It turned out that the all of the screws in the switch have unscrewed them selves, cuased by the vibrations from all that bass.

.....Nothing a bit of loctite can't sort out ;)

RF Lighting said:
Is this not the same with gas, which is why compression fittings are not allowed if not readily accesible?
Ah yes, fair point, but I thought you were excluding gas because you referred to pushfit fittings.

A screwed joint may loosen over time through vibration and the like, but a crimped or soldered joint should be fine.
Phew! That was my simplistic understanding.

A coleague of mine was called to a night club, after some of the lights had stopped working. It turned out that the all of the screws in the switch have unscrewed them selves, cuased by the vibrations from all that bass.
Blimey. :eek:

Sponsored Links
Softus said:
No offence meant, but the analogy is flawed.

I assume, with electrical fittings, that safety is paramount, but with plumbing the the choice of plumbing fitting is a balance of compromises.

As well as all of the things I listed, cost is also a factor (both in price of materials and cost of deploying them).

Evening Softus, no offence taken.

I used that analogy because there are many ways of jointing cables just like there are many ways to jointing pipes all of which when done correctly achieve the same goal.

Crimps are very good when done correctly but if you read back a few posts you do need to use calibrated ratchet crimping tools to get it right because the tool head wears.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a correctly terminated JB in a domestic environment but it's like everything else, you way up all of your options and select the one that best suits the application.

Agree with RF,

screw terminals are subjected to vibration due to the ac waveform fluctuating between +/- cycles.

Pensdown i think has summed this one up, all types of joints are permitted by the regs as long as the application is used and selected correctly.

526-03 and 526-04 has all relevant information.

Pensdown said:
Evening Softus, no offence taken.

I used that analogy because there are many ways of jointing cables just like there are many ways to jointing pipes all of which when done correctly achieve the same goal.
:)

OK - I retract - the analogy works for me now that you've explained. Mebbee I didn't read back far enough in the topic.

...you do need to use calibrated ratchet crimping tools to get it right because the tool head wears.
It's a bloomin' minefield! I bought some rachet crimpers because I got fed up with trying to get stranded flex into immersion heater terminals, so I now crimp some pin terminals onto the flex. Unusual for a plumber perhaps, but I like things to be right. However, I had no idea that these can be or should be calibrated, but it makes perfect sense now that you mention it - a worn tool will crimp inadequately.

Softus said:
I bought some rachet crimpers because I got fed up with trying to get stranded flex into immersion heater terminals, so I now crimp some pin terminals onto the flex. Unusual for a plumber perhaps, but I like things to be right.

Ha ha, good one.

You can't be a real plumber.

Next you'll be telling us you can lift and refit floorboards without destroying them. ;)

RF Lighting said:
Softus said:
I bought some rachet crimpers because I got fed up with trying to get stranded flex into immersion heater terminals, so I now crimp some pin terminals onto the flex. Unusual for a plumber perhaps, but I like things to be right.

Ha ha, good one.

You can't be a real plumber.

Next you'll be telling us you can lift and refit floorboards without destroying them. ;)

:LOL: :LOL:

Standard plumbers tool kit;

1. Kango for lifting floor boards
2. Chainsaw for notching joists
3. Nail gun with braided nails for replacing floor boards

;) :LOL:

And worst of all, an un-calibrated crimping tool

RF Lighting said:
I find a floorboard saw usually does the trick - preserve the tongue on one side and it slots back in quite nicely.

Pensdown said:
And worst of all, an un-calibrated crimping tool
Hm. I wonder which is worst - me unknowingly using an uncalibrated tool, or the supplier who sold it to me, or the manufacturer who packaged it up without a note explaining that it needs calibrating?

Or....the abundance of forum posts that mention crimping without mentioning calibration?

I believe the expression is ":lol:". ;)

Sorry, I've spent most of my life communicating without keyboards and smiley things...(now which one should I pick) :rolleyes: and the last two posts were suposed to be funny? :rolleyes:

....oh. and by the way, that horrible bloke RF wrote "Next you'll be telling us you can lift and refit floorboards without destroying them" :eek:

;) :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back