BS 7671 Rules on Joining Cables.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I understand that the rules say that cable joins using junction boxes with screw fittings have to be accessible for inspection.

This seems fair enough, but I have a damaged cable in a lighting radial circuit which is under the floorboards. How do I repair it without using a junction box? I don't want to have to take loads more boards up to replace from rose to rose. :(

Sponsored Links
you would need to use a ratchet crimper and crimps. See if you can borrow the kit needed. Then wrap the whole joint in heatshrink.

Of course, a lot of houses have inaccessible junction boxes, ours is certainly no exception . . . but of course i'm not recommending you break any rules here. :rolleyes: :cool: :LOL:

Use a JB and be done with it. I would prefer that than a crappy heat-shrunk joint.

Where does it say that having to lift the floorboards means that it is not accessible for inspection?

Sponsored Links
Dippy said:
Where does it say that having to lift the floorboards means that it is not accessible for inspection?
its debatable - what if the house subsequently has laminate floor or tiles put down? it wont be accesible then, without ruining the floor! however, if its just carpet, then i suppose it is accessible, but theres no telling what floor covering will be installed ina few years!

The NIC's view, for whats it's worth, is under ANY floor is in-accessible. Even carpet.

Lectrician said:
Use a JB and be done with it. I would prefer that than a rubbishy heat-shrunk joint.

Isn't a crimp joint not technically a joint but a continuation of cable?

Lectrician said:
Use a JB and be done with it. I would prefer that than a rubbishy heat-shrunk joint.
I'm curious, having noticed that most electricians believe a crimped connection to more reliable and longer lasting than a joint made in a screw terminal.

Lectrician - is your experience the opposite to that of most other electricians on the forum?

Unless we are going to start charging for detailed drawings, and start fitting accessible carpeted floor outlets this reg is over the top when dealing with extensions and the like, i believe. Crimping has it's advantages but a correctly terminated joint box that over decades may 'vibrate' etc loose to me is , and has never been a safer option seeing as our crimping tools are not always calibrated. Any loose or dodgy connections should show themselves during testing. Maybe a bs j.b should be made to keep us, and the people whom know nothing about electricity all happy.

Sorry, forgot, they do make a bs j' b,.I suggest dropping into sight by means of cheap mini trunking just below ceiling level etc, and fitting a small but classy ornamental 'boxing' around it. Accessible and a nice 'feature'.

As Lectricain has said, having JB's that are not easily accessible is an NIC recommendation, it's nothing to do with 7671. I also agree that I prefer seeing either a correctly terminated JB or if you prefer, crimps used within the JB instead of the screw terminals. Heat shrink and crimps have there uses but IMO not for a normal joint.

Softus said:
I'm curious, having noticed that most electricians believe a crimped connection to more reliable and longer lasting than a joint made in a screw terminal.

IMO the difference between a well terminated junction box and a crimp is insignificant in 99.9% of cases.

To get into pluming terms, whats the difference between a well done compression/pushfit joint and a well done solder joint? I would assume in 99.9% of cases very little?

Thanks for the replies.

I see there is a BS standard crimp. I assume there are different sizes for each cable size. What gives it it's mechanical strength? Would you use crimps on larger cables, for example extending a cooker supply? Does the heat shrink give the same level on insulation as the original two layers in the twin and earth?

Lots of questions I know, thanks for your help :)

Pensdown said:
To get into pluming terms, whats the difference between a well done compression/pushfit joint and a well done solder joint? I would assume in 99.9% of cases very little?
I don't understand your analogy. Do you mean in terms of:

1. Mechanical strength;
2. Appearance;
3. Likelihood of leaking;
4. Electrical conductivity;
5. Demountability.

:?:

I meant being fit for purpose. A soldered joint maybe better than a compression joint just like a crimp connection mabe better that a screwed connection. But both are still fit for purpose.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back