BT Broadband got very slow

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All,
About 4 days ago my 2meg broadband just crashed down to 128Kb.#I rang customer services before (India), and they did a few tests, could not find out what it was, anybody any ideas? thanks

Sponsored Links
There is a long list of possibilities both at your end and at theirs (BT's).

If you have wifi is it secure ?
Have you checked / replaced the following:
Filters
RJ11 cable between filter and router/modem
Router/modem
Disconnect all extensions / phones and just have the router modem plugged in on a new filter

There are others.

Just to confirm, can you do a speed test here http://speedchecker.org/ , and post the results.

My hunch is that you've exceeded a monthly quota and your ISP has rate-limited your connection.

That was my first thought, until I read that he had spoken to his ISP . Maybe they are that incompetent. :confused:

Sponsored Links
If you exceed your download allowance with BT, they just charge you 58p for every 1GB over, they do not limit your speed.

Thanks fellas,
but i do not download anything at all.
I could not figure out what the indian girl was saying either, im friggin annoyed to say the least.

I would not rely on the BT call centre being correct, I had the same problem last year & it took me 2 weeks to convince them there was an exchange fault. Do you know if any of your neighbours are with BT & experiencing the same symptoms?

You have my sympathy calling BTOpenworld support, it is monumentally rubbish. Yes a good idea would be obviously do the speed check and ask neighbours if they have any problems. Also, I'll ask the obvious, has any work been done on your phone lines?

Also, please post your line stats here for all to see.

I've been with BT for 3 years in my current house - rock solid 'up to 8Meg' Broadband for 2 years at 2-3Meg.

It suddenly fell to 1meg for no apparent reason - after checking all my filters and trying a backup modem nothing changed,
but I noticed that my line stats were showing I was on a fixed 1meg service !!

After several phone calls to support, who absolutely denied I had been taken off the Max product and downgraded to a fixed line service,
I demanded an engineer be sent to check my line.

Surprise, surprise - "You're on a 1Meg fixed line service mate as you suspected, though your stats imply you could get up to 3Meg on the Max option!!!!!"

After 2 more visits to the Exchange my line suddenly kicked back up to where it had been prior to this
[and where it has remained rock solid for the past 10 months].

Why was I downgraded to a fixed line?
Why was the customer not even informed?
Was I accidently switched over at the Exchange?

BT never/couldn't answer any of my questions.

Homer

my brother inlaw is with bt broad band he is paying loads and on unlimited download up to 8 meg speed .and i was only getting speeds lower than dial up on my laptop there using his bt he told me they started cutting his speed to stop him dowloading alot. so much for unlimited they just quote fair usage policy to him , i dont think calling it unlimited then limiting u is very fair.

Sponsored Links
Back