BT outdoor telephone bell

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
BT are coming for my outdoor bell fed up of renting it for years paid for it 10 times over,but it is very handy.Whats the best to do i still require a bell. Just tell the engineer it fell off the wall and got run over and put it in the recycling bin because i would like to keep it it will save buying a new one. Any one got any orther ideas thanks .

Sponsored Links
a BT80D will do the job nicely. Probably what you have installed now

BT might do a 'records only' cease - in other words they stop charging rental, and will no longer maintain the bell, but it is uneconomical for them to send an engineer out just to take it off the wall and dump it in a skip.

If an engineer does turn up, he may consider taking away a cup of tea and a chocolate hobnob or two instead of the bell ;) .

I`ve fitted and repaired a few,but never removed one ;)

Sponsored Links
I've never recovered a Bell 80D (underdome) before. I've adjusted a few & changed a few in the past due to rust etc, but I don't think its worth sending an engineer out to remove a bell.
I'm surprised they didn't remove the rental charge from your bill ages ago.
If anyone does come to remove it, it wont be accountable for. It will just get thrown in the bin. So just ask him to leave it where it is it'll save him getting his ladders off the van :)

I'm surprised they didn't remove the rental charge from your bill ages ago.

I didn't even realize BT was still applying rental charges for equipment like that, most of it having been effectively abandoned in situ years ago.

I wonder if there is still anyone paying rental for a Tele. 746 somewhere?

I wonder if there is still anyone paying rental for a Tele. 746 somewhere?

Yeah, I only recovered a 746 last week & con pst.

First one I've had in quite a while mind you.

I wish I'd saved the hundreds that I threw away over the years.
I kept a few as they became more rare & converted them to work on the 'plug & socket' system.
Who'd have thought back then that they would become so desirable now?
I was surprised that you could get hold of Transmitter 1A's on ebay. A must really when converting a 746 as the old Transmitters are invariably noisy now.

I'm one of those telephone people with a great love for restoring and preserving the old apparatus. When I ever get the time that is! Apart from the 746 and 706 phones, I have several Tele. 332 sitting in the cupboard waiting for work when I get the chance, not to mention a couple of Western Electric 500 (U.S. equivalent of the old GPO 700-series) and Princess phones.

Those should keep me busy for a while!

I sold nearly all of my 706 & 746 & Trimphones on ebay after converting & cleaning them up. Its amazing how shiny & new looking you can get them to look.
I still have some Compact Jubilee phones left to convert though. You definitely don't see many of those about. Tele 776 weren't they?

I still have some Compact Jubilee phones left to convert though. You definitely don't see many of those about. Tele 776 weren't they?

Yes, 776. I must admit I haven't seen one "in the flesh" for a good few years. Toward the bottom of this page for those who don't know what we're talking about: :D

http://www.telephonesuk.co.uk/phones_1960-80.htm[/QUOTE]
I even have two of the Silver Jubilee editions with the special dial centre.
I suppose these might become collectors items one day. That's one of the reasons I haven't converted them to PST. Sometimes these collector's pieces are preferred in their original state.

Sometimes these collector's pieces are preferred in their original state.

Definitely, and I include myself in that category. I'd much rather keep the original cord and use the old plug 420 or wire directly to a 52A box. I've never really liked the PST system anyway, apart from the fact that it just "looks" wrong with older phones.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back