Build over agreement (Class 1)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 100mm drain pipe which will go through my foundations at a depth of 1m.

The manhole is outside the footings of the extension so it only the protection of this clay drain I need to be concerned about.

The foundations are very deep, up to 2.4 meters.
Screen Shot 2016-01-30 at 07.55.35.png
I am thinking of something like this. Would this work?

Attachments

• Build Over.pdf
    29 KB · Views: 305
Sponsored Links
A continuous foundation with a hole in it for the pipe. Or flexible connections on a built-in pipe.

Sponsored Links
A continuous foundation with a hole in it for the pipe. Or flexible connections on a built-in pipe.
Thanks woody. The pipe is existing so they can just pour the foundations around it? No lintel support required?

Yes the foundation can go around a pipe, but allowance for movement had to be made, so they need to devise a method of keeping the concrete off the pipe.

Yes the foundation can go around a pipe, but allowance for movement had to be made, so they need to devise a method of keeping the concrete off the pipe.
I've heard of people wrapping in bubble wrap. Sound acceptable or something more substantial?

No. You'll get uneven foundation settlement
Why do you say that. essentially that's what we always do with the only addition we line the sides and top of the granular backfill with celotex. If the crown of the pipe has less than 150mm backfill over it then we would sleeve the pipe and fill with foam using flexi joints either side.

Why do you say that. essentially that's what we always do with the only addition we line the sides and top of the granular backfill with celotex. If the crown of the pipe has less than 150mm backfill over it then we would sleeve the pipe and fill with foam using flexi joints either side.

Because that what will happen with two unconnected foundations.

Going by the OP drawing, 2/3 of the foundation depth are separate. One half will move and crack that 1/3 section above the pipe

Because that what will happen with two unconnected foundations.

Going by the OP drawing, 2/3 of the foundation depth are separate. One half will move and crack that 1/3 section above the pipe

I understand, so something more like this? And would gravel give the appropriate movement?
Screen Shot 2016-01-30 at 10.56.22.png

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back