Build started in 2005 - nearly finished, attitudes changed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I started extending my house back in Feb 2005, initially with a single storey rear extension, then a two storey side extension a couple of years later (same planning app etc.)

When I started, the attitude seemed to be that DIY electrics was still okay (despite Part P). The work to be done was covered under a single LABC notification.. I spoke to the building inspector and he was happy for me to do the electrics if a qualified electrician did the appropriate tests, and the electrician who installed/connected my boiler indicated he would be happy to run those tests (he viewed the kitchen wiring runs when installed and was happy with them)

Over the past 8 years we have slowly plugged away at finishing the build - with a great deal of help from on here I might add. As I have family in various trades I have done most things (except brickwork and plastering neither of which I can get the knack for).. which is probably why it has taken so long, having kids severely reduces the time and energy available for this kind of work! :)

As we are now nearing the end of the build I need to work out what I am going to do around the electrics and obtaining my completion certificates.. My original building inspector has emigrated and I believe my electrician left the business.. I have photographic evidence of the majority of the wiring installation. I would like to engage an electrician to fit a new CU and complete an EICR/Part P testing.

When I phone up a new electrician and/or my new building inspector what are likely to be the reactions? Will an electrician be able to give me sufficient documentation for the Building inspector to issue a final cert?

I've read a number of posts around this area on here, but none seem to be quite the same as my situation..

cheers

Trev

Sponsored Links
There are three signature forms where design, installation and inspection and testing are all signed for separately.

So first two signatures would clearly be yours as you designed and installed with just the third needing the signature of the electrician you select for final testing.

Where I see a problem is the inspecting if the guy who inspected is no longer available to sign the paperwork. I would down load the forms from the IET web site and consider what you want to do.

You could design your own form and ask the electrician only to sign for testing with no inspection or you could sign the whole form yourself and get the electrician to provide you with readings but you sign the form. The idea is you are hiring the electricians equipment and knowledge on how to use but not asking for his name on the forms.

Since the original inspector has left if you tell the new inspector this was agreed then he will have a hard time showing it was not. In the Part P regulations the local authority inspector is responsible for site safety so he should not have allowed you to energise any circuits without satiating himself that they are safe so there should be a inspecting and testing certificate before any circuit is energised. In practice far easier to use a loop impedance meter than a low ohm meter so often circuits are energised then tested but this is not what the rules say should happen.

Clearly the system has to cater for death and retirement and what you would normally do is ask the building inspector what he wants. But telling him what you have may be easier.

To get an electrician to do an electrical installation condition report and copy the values onto the installation certificate and you signing is likely best option. But exactly how it is done is down to your agreement with council inspector.

When I did it the inspector would not accept my son testing but would accept me testing. There does not seem to be any hard and fast rules its down to the inspector. Show him you have done your best and likely no problem. It is after all as much his problem as yours if he allowed it to go so long without paperwork being submitted.

Eric,

thanks for the tips! Sounds like the way to go. Do you think there would be any reluctance on the part of a newly engaged electrician?

thanks

Trevor

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back