Builder carrying out electrical work - Badly!

disconnect it now.....get rid of him..report him take more pics as proof then find a bit of rope for him

Sponsored Links
He'd also used a 1.5mm cable to take a spur off of a (ring final) socket which already had a radial circuit taken from it.

The installation is appalling, however assuming you mean a spur as opposed to a "radial circuit", there's nothing in itself incorrect about that strategy.

The installation is appalling, however assuming you mean a spur as opposed to a "radial circuit", there's nothing in itself incorrect about that strategy.

I think OP is saying there there are now two spurs taken from one socket on the ring. A hot debate may ensue, but it's not something I would ever do. Happily spur off to an FCU and take two sockets from there, but ain't jamming four conductors in the back of a socket.

Sponsored Links
I think OP is saying there there are now two spurs taken from one socket on the ring. A hot debate may ensue, but it's not something I would ever do. Happily spur off to an FCU and take two sockets from there, but ain't jamming four conductors in the back of a socket.
Absolutely no issue with two spurs from one point provided the conductors can be properly terminated.

Absolutely no issue with two spurs from one point provided the conductors can be properly terminated.

I absolutely agree; but rarely can they be properly terminated unless thought has been put into it first, (socket selection, pattress deepness etc.) and I strongly suspect the clown who carried out OP's install put no thought into anything.

Disclaimer: I rarely touch houses, so maybe it's more common than I think that four conductors can be comfortably fitted into the back of a socket. My experience of domestic situations is slim. For reasons like this! :mrgreen:

I would say a pro can get four sets of conductors into a socket securely and neatly.

Probably not this bloke though - it's bound to be rubbish.

(Personal opinion - I would never have more than four sets of conductors in a socket, just doesn't seem right in my own humble opinion.)

I think OP is saying there there are now two spurs taken from one socket on the ring. A hot debate may ensue, but it's not something I would ever do.
Why not?

As has been said, the only possible issue is whether or not the terminals in the socket will accommodate four conductors - which they usually will (assuming 2.5mm²) with no problem.

Kind Regards, John

(Personal opinion - I would never have more than four sets of conductors in a socket, just doesn't seem right in my own humble opinion.)
'More than four' is definitely pushing it for most, if not all, socket terminals - I certainly wouldn't try that, and I doubt that many people would. However, as I've just written, in my experience four is rarely a problem.

Kind Regards, John

I personally wouldn't spur off the same point in the ring twice.

I personally wouldn't install ring finals - they're a bit of a dinosaur.

Careful, my parents did the same, make sure not paid and try to get corrected before contacting trading standards, as with my case the company went to wall as result of what council did, so got no money back.

It actually cost more to correct than do the job as also cost of ripping out bad work, there is RayChem electric underfloor heating which is self regulating for floor temperature, but most need sensors in the floor to stop over heating of the floor, limited to 27°C so it can be walked on with bare feet.

I personally wouldn't spur off the same point in the ring twice.
You're certainly not alone in thinking like that.

However, it seems that most people who feel that way would be perfectly happy to take spurs from two different sockets which were just a few inches apart on the ring - does that include you?

Kind Regards, John

Fair enough - at least you are consistent (whereas, as I said, it seems that many people aren't).

In fact, as I'm sure you know, provided that 'the point' is not too close to an end of the ring, one can apply the entire 32A load on a ring final at a single point on the ring without 'overloading' any of the cables.

Kind Regards, John

Why not?

As has been said, the only possible issue is whether or not the terminals in the socket will accommodate four conductors - which they usually will (assuming 2.5mm²) with no problem.

Kind Regards, John

As I said, my experience with adding or modifying existing domestic installations is slim, and rarely have I come across a socket and pattress that can easily accommodate four conductors.

But you'd be amazed where I can make three 4-core 240mm² cables fit where they shouldn't be able to fit at 3am in the morning... So maybe I'm just a bit soft when it comes to a plastic socket! :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back