Builder Exceeded Building Regulation Drawings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, we are in the process of building a single storey flat roof extension on a detached property.

Planning permission was sought and granted as the work also includes an extension to the front of the property.

The rear extension was 3.6m by 9.3m and the dimensions are on the drawings, however, the builder has proceeded to build the extension out to 4m in line with permitted development and now I am concerned that the Building Inspector will take issue with this.

The builder is insistent that this will not cause any issues as it falls within permitted development and the inspector is only interested in everything being structurally compliant.

Is the builder correct? Thanks in advance for any replies

Sponsored Links
Although it doesn’t happen much, I agree with the builder in this instance.

Also, BCO’s have nothing to do with Planning/PD.

Although it doesn’t happen much, I agree with the builder in this instance.

Also, BCO’s have nothing to do with Planning/PD.
Thanks for the reponse. Does the BCO not assess the work carried out against the appoved building regs. drawings which include the dimensions of the extension?

Only if they think it’ll have a knock on effect with something else controlled by the BR’s. This could include the re-design of any joists or steels for that increased length. It could also trigger an increased BR cost should the increased floor area move you up into the next bracket. But in 99% of situations, they would not check the dimensions against any form of Planning/PD requirements.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Guys.

I appreciate the responses; I will definitely sleep better tonight!

As long as the builder is building the extra bit for no extra cost, you're alright.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back