Builder increasing prices at the end of a project

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Could I ask anyone more experienced than myself their opinion on this situation.

Essentially I agreed a price with a builder including a fixed price for making a large family room and replacing the kitchen etc. This included a list of tasks and any other reasonable tasks to complete the above objective and make good.

The builder has nearly finished but now states he wants extra money. Some of this is not unreasonable (additional socket for the dishwasher, extra pop up socket on the work top as not specified originally) however a few things seem to be unfair and I would be interested in someone independents opinion:

1) Adjusting floor to make level following removal of the structural wall. The floors were not aligned (1cm out approx) but I am of the mind that this is not unforeseen and I struggle to see why an extra payment of £150 is required.

2) Plastering the other side of a blocked up door. The scope of works included the blocking up of an internal door as due to knocking the 2 rooms into 1 only 1 is required. It seems a little unfair that I have to pay extra £70 for both sides of the door to be made good.

Also some of his charges seem a little expensive (putting up tv bracket £70 and shelf £50). Seems a little high for screwing these to the wall.

Any thoughts would be very much appreciated.

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Essentially I agreed a price with a builder including a fixed price

His problem, tell him to (politely) get stuffed. How much refund is he offering for any aspect of the job where he has"mistakenly" made excessive profit.

bunters1976, good evening.

I believe the Builder has not acted in good faith.

Meaning that as soon as the Builder is aware of a potential increase in costs, he, the Builder should have obtained your approval to expend your funds?

What happens on larger contracts is that something pops up that will require additional funding to sort out and get the project back on track, once found this discrepancy / unforeseen addition / a client requested alteration should be costed by the Contractor / builder and these additional costs agreed by the Client [or their Professional representative prior to the work under discussion being undertaken by the Contractor / builder, all the above in writing or e mail so a solid trail can be seen by all.

The last to appraise all of contract condition / Specification alterations and adaptations.

All you need in disputes? three things, those are Records, Records, Records, NOTHING else matches these requirements.

It would appear in your sited case, yes there have been minor alterations that you made, and agreed with the Contractor / Builder, but on simply reading your Post there are some areas where the Contractor / Builder has failed to protect your interest and seek formal approval to his proposed actions that were not delineated in the project specification

Ken

Sponsored Links
How can these be extras if they were originally specified or he could have reasonably expected them. Fixed prices are not fixed prices per se.

2) Plastering the other side of a blocked up door. The scope of works included the blocking up of an internal door as due to knocking the 2 rooms into 1 only 1 is required. It seems a little unfair that I have to pay extra £70 for both sides of the door to be made good.
What did you intend doing with the other side of the blocked up door? Would you be happy if he'd left it as it was?

Hi

Thanks for the replies.

Regarding the door, I was expecting both sides to be blocked up under the agreed works of blocking up a door. I guess there is some ambiguity as far as I didn't specify both sides but I would have tought that was fairly obvious. Is this unreasonable?

I have the same thoughts on the floor. I'm not a builder but it wasn't a surprise to me that the floors didn't align perfectly following the removal of a structural wall so feels like he is trying to find excuses for increasing the cost. Again I don't think this is unreasonable but if anyone who does this regularly says otherwise I'm happy to listen.

I'm trying to be fair with him but not sure if he is taking advantage. If the above legitimately is unexpected and unforseen and therefore should be charged as extras I'll pay it but I'm not convinced it is.

Thanks

Back