Fixed price but builder demanding extra money

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Could I ask anyone more experienced than myself their opinion on this situation.

Essentially I agreed a price with a builder including a fixed price for making a large family room and replacing the kitchen etc. This included a list of tasks and any other reasonable tasks to complete the above objective and make good.

The builder has nearly finished but now states he wants extra money. Some of this is not unreasonable (additional socket for the dishwasher, extra pop up socket on the work top as not specified originally) however a few things seem to be unfair and I would be interested in someone independents opinion:

1) Adjusting floor to make level following removal of the structural wall. The floors were not aligned (1cm out approx) but I am of the mind that this is not unforeseen and I struggle to see why an extra payment of £150 is required.

2) Plastering the other side of a blocked up door. The scope of works included the blocking up of an internal door as due to knocking the 2 rooms into 1 only 1 is required. It seems a little unfair that I have to pay extra £70 for both sides of the door to be made good.

Also some of his charges seem a little expensive (putting up tv bracket £70 and shelf £50). Seems a little high for screwing these to the wall.

Any thoughts would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
1) Adjusting floor to make level following removal of the structural wall. The floors were not aligned (1cm out approx) but I am of the mind that this is not unforeseen and I struggle to see why an extra payment of £150 is required.
I always put a disclaimer against this particular item.
One would expect the floors to be of a similar level. However, a lot are not. The problem is the short distance remaining in order to feather out any discrepancies. I personally treat any remedial works in respect to floor levels being out as an extra.

You presumably asked him to block up the doorway? Was that in with the original spec, or was it discussed/asked for later?
If he'd included plastering one side (which I'm guessing by your description), then why hadn't he included for both sides? Doesn't make a lot of sense.
£70 to put up a TV bracket is crazy ... unless there was more to it. Did it include putting electrics to the TV?

Hi

Yes asked him to block up the door. No further details discussed except a general "make good and decorate". As we removed a wall there was now 2 doors into the same room about 50cm apart. I was expecting both sides to be blocked up.

The TV bracket was just attaching to the wall and connecting the existing hdmi cable. Works out at £10 per screw.

I wasn't sure if he was taking the pi55 but it became clear when removing the mud from a shed Base he built, even though I'd agreed to pay for an extra skip to help, I came back to him spreading mud over all of my lawn. When challenged he said it was landscaping.

The paint in the house is already chipping as he just put gloss over old paint without sanding.

He didn't remove the plastic wrapping on the kitchen cabinets so siliconed over this and it came off with the wrapping.

Seems to be one thing after another with this guy.

Thanks for your help and advice

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back