Builders mastic sealant still not dry

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My builder put some builders mastic sealant down the join between our extension and our house on Monday morning and it is still very soft to touch 2 days later. Should it be? How long does this type of sealant take to dry? Surely it should be dry by now?

Sponsored Links
It depends what type of mastic it is.

Do you mean that it's not dry and sticks to your finger, or not set with a hard surface but still soft beneath?

It's very soft to touch but does not stick to my finger, it's got a kind of skin on it which wrinkled up when I tried to smooth out the dent I'd made with my finger when testing if it was dry.

He's probably used normal acrylic mastic then. That sets like that.

Was acrylic specified? It should normally be polysulphide mastic.

Sponsored Links
What so it will always be soft??? No polysulphide mastic wasn't specified, just mastic, he said it was builder's mastic.

Just been reading about sealants and I think he's used an oil based sealant. This link below explains oil based sealants which fits with what mine is like. I think I remember seeing oil-based written on the tube when he showed me it.

http://www.countyconchem.co.uk/what-sealants-do-what.html

Also any idea how I can get rid of the stuff as I can't have it like it is, our kids will probably end up putting their fingers through it.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back