Building a thin porch wall

Could you not build it full width and then put a door in the front and the back - this would hopefully alleviate the need for reducing wall thickness and still give you access, but you could also look at Timber Framed as well?

Sponsored Links
I'm glad you asked that woody, currently BRE that leading light of the British construction industry, have a book out tiled "Hemp Lime Construction" an informative book dealing with, among other things, construction with hempecrete blocks book which would make informative reading to anyone. Further than that they have online library documents that make very good reads as well - http://www.bre.co.uk/filelibrary/pdf/projects/low_impact_materials/IP14_11.pdf - currently there's less on hempctrete block building, although the BRE have just finished a hempecrete block build project in Enfield and by BRE's own scoring system has achieved an A+ raating, expect some good reading to follow that, when it's published! And to answer you question re how can the "OP build as thin as possible wall" (what the hell does that equate to?, can't you at least provide a dimension??) and "be weather proof, and be aesthetically pleasing using these hemp blocks" Perhaps you should ask these guys - View media item 60346 they seem to have made a pretty good job of it, wouldn't you agree???

Block and render is a pain and a maintenance issue i.e. subsequent re-painting and it may not be in keeping withy the rest of the build.

Sponsored Links
pinenot" said:
I'm glad you asked that woody, currently BRE that leading light of the British construction industry, have a book out tiled "Hemp Lime Construction" an informative book dealing with, among other things, construction with hempecrete blocks book which would make informative reading to anyone. Further than that they have online library documents that make very good reads as well - http://www.bre.co.uk/filelibrary/pdf/projects/low_impact_materials/IP14_11.pdf - currently there's less on hempctrete block building, although the BRE have just finished a hempecrete block build project in Enfield and by BRE's own scoring system has achieved an A+ raating, expect some good reading to follow that, when it's published! And to answer you question re how can the "OP build as thin as possible wall" (what the hell does that equate to?, can't you at least provide a dimension??) and "be weather proof, and be aesthetically pleasing using these hemp blocks" Perhaps you should ask these guys - View media item 60346 they seem to have made a pretty good job of it, wouldn't you agree???

OP was talking about a porch; why insulate it? and it would look awful.
Long-term, how do we know there won't be any issues with this hemp stuff?
There would probably be a minimum quantity to order, and how many brickies are used to using it?

BRE .., have a book out tiled "Hemp Lime Construction"

One significant criteria of design and building, is to build with appropriate materials, and suitable form of construction.

You are exalting the properties of a block for a situation that does not require those properties, and would not only be potentially out of place, but with a higher build cost and higher maintenance cost with little payback of the block's sustainable attributes which you are trying to promote.

Its a porch. Insulation values are irrelevant. An unheated room can't magically be kept warm. It's nonsense to promote a block's "A+" rating (intended for heated properties) as something making it the top choice for a porch

The BRE talk of lime render - a breathable construction on a property which is totally different. Do you know of the consequences of this?

Lime render - application and long term maintenance. Again another problem, and that is before consideration to how this fits in with the existing property and street scene

There would be many more reasons not to use this block, but the bottom line is that your sustainable ideals are clouding your selection of appropriate materials for a construction project

Again, the OP wants a wall as thin as possible to maximise internal space. Design for that.

Thanks everyone for all the replies! Lots of really useful ideas. I think perhaps I'm too concerned about insulating it.
I'd like to keep it brick/ block rather than wood/glazed mainly for security purposes. Wood may be an option though if its tough enough. We may keep bikes in it hung from the wall and I know i'm not supposed to, but i was thinking of putting a dryer/washing machine in it too.
I wanted to leave access to the back as my motorbike is kept down there attached to a ground anchor. I could still get it out with 60cm space as the boundary is a low wall.
Hempcrete block and lime render wouldn't look too out of place as the house is currently rendered from about 1m upwards. It seems like a good option to keep it well insulated but now I'm not sure thats necessary.

Many thanks

Jo

I'm looking to build a porch......If I build a 27.5cm thick wall i'm left with only a 75cm wide porch.
And then......
We may keep bikes in it hung from the wall........was thinking of putting a dryer/washing machine in it too........
I wanted to leave access to the back as my motorbike is kept down there attached to a ground anchor
did you say porch or Tardis? :eek: :p

Looks like Pinenutter is vindicated though....
Hempcrete block and lime render wouldn't look too out of place as the house is currently rendered

We may keep bikes in it hung from the wall........was thinking of putting a dryer/washing machine in it too........
I wanted to leave access to the back as my motorbike is kept down there attached to a ground anchor
did you say porch or Tardis? :eek: :p

Sounds like you need to build a garage mate, not a porch - you could keep it nice and warm in there by insulating it with......

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back