Building an extension- removing walls but were do start?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I didnt think it would be so hard to find out the process of doing this. But there seems to be alot of different answers for the same question. So i thought i`d ask the people in the know.

I`m looking at blocking up an internal wall to seperate my living/dinning room.

remove supporting wall between kitchen/dinning room

remove external wall between kitchen/utility room to allow a bigger kitchen.

Removing conservatory and erecting an extension with alot of glazing which i know from the forum causes problems with regs.

My question is were do i start?

At the moment im drawing plans on laptop with floorplanner website, but im not sure if its even physically possible to do what im suggesting.

So far i`ve been advised i need a builder/structural enginner/architect/planner etc just to get plans.

I dont want to waste anyones time but who do i need 1st?

Sponsored Links
Your starting point should be an architectural consultant or technician (don't go to an architect - they'll charge you a million pounds just to call round and will probably be no better, and possibly less-capable, than the others).
There are several possibilities in your case; for example, the extension may or may not need planning permission - a consultant would advise.
Most of the work you mention would need a Building Regulations application, but you don't necessarily have to have plans for this, though proper plans would enable a builder to know exactly what you want.
Finally, the structural alterations would require calcs by a SE.
So many different issues, that's why you need to speak with a consultant first

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back