Building Control - Electrics done myself

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

We've built a new extension and building control have said that as we've kept the exterior wall and door in place (as it's just a larger replacement of an old conservatory) that we won't need building control as such and they're happy to sign it off however I want 2 x 2 Gang electrical sockets (just for a couple of lamps and maybe a laptop charger) and a single socket for a 1500w Oil Filled Radiator in there which they've said I'll need to make sure i get an electrician in to do so I've had 3 electricians around to quote me but even though they were aware there are only 3 sockets to put in I've not heard anything back even though I've chased them all up so.....we're at the point where we need to start papering so I'm wondering if I can put the sockets in and then connect them up and get an electrician to come in and test them and would that suffice?
There is a single gang socket on the wall of the kitchen next to the new room where one of the electricians said he would just run a spur off so I'm happy I can do that but will this be ok ?
I've got no problem paying for this from an electrician and I don't want to bypass any regs but I'm just wanting to get the room done.
Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
You will have more chance getting an electrician to do the installation , than finding one who will certify work that they haven't done.
Having said that adding a couple of sockets to existing circuit isn't notifiable to building control.

Last edited:
That's what i thought....I'll carry on ringing around and hope that someone will actually want the work.
Thanks

I'm wondering if I can put the sockets in and then connect them up and get an electrician to come in and test them and would that suffice?
What you are doing is not "notifiable" so I would say, yes, just to test; not certify as such.

There is a single gang socket on the wall of the kitchen next to the new room where one of the electricians said he would just run a spur off so I'm happy I can do that but will this be ok ?
Yes - assuming you know how to do it properly.

If you are sure that the socket is on a ring circuit or a radial circuit and not already a spur.

If it is on a 32A circuit (ring or radial), I would suggest you use 4mm² Twin and Earth cable, that way you won't need any 'fusing-down' to protect the spur.

Sponsored Links
Just to double check though that as this is a spur can I do this myself or does it HAVE to be notifiable ? again, not trying to get out of paying anyone at all but just short on time getting it done at the moment.
Thanks
Ian

lol...just posted and then i saw the response....yeah the socket that's there is on a 32A circuit as I've checked what ring is connected where when we move in last year so i could label them. I can only assume it's not a spur by looking what is connected to the back of it i guess however one of the electricians said he was happy as it was RCD protected so he seemed ok at just running it off that socket ?
If it was a case of running it back to the main board (like a new shower or something) then i wouldn't even consider this but if I'm "allowed" to do it then it would save some time but only as this electrician told me he was going to just run it off that (and he knew we were putting a radiator in there)

Did electrician take the single socket in kitchen away from wall to view the cabling that's connected there ,and do any testing ?
You will need to establish if it is part of the ring final ,or if it's a spur.

The one that said he was happy running it off there didn't (he just checked the main board) but the other two did however they didn't say anything about what they were going to do.

Then you are going to need to do some investigating /tests yourself.

Ok, I'll see if I can get an electrician in again first (fourth time lucky) but failing that then I'll do it. My biggest concern is if I'm "legally" allowed to do it, I can ask and check with you guys if I'm doing it right (as it's not a big job to describe) but more for the fact of any insurance claim etc, if the building goes up then at least I can say it wasn't notifiable (as long as I do it safely)
Just on this though that it does seem that there is a grey area regarding "notifying" if I put a fuse in between the current socket and the new ones ? I would prefer to isolate it where i can anyway so might be ideal in this case?

2.5 mm² cable is normally rated around 20 amp, but rarely 32 amp, so if taking a spur from a ring final it can only feed on BS 1363 device, be it a single socket, double socket or fuse connection unit, that device can in turn supply many more devices, but through it not as well, which in real terms means a BS 1362 fuse.

A kitchen in Wales is a special location, so in Wales the LABC or a scheme member electrician has to oversee the work, in England a kitchen is not a special location, and I have no idea as to what is allowed in Scotland and Ulster.

Clearly LABC is involved, and I did not get one well with them. In my case in Wales, they wanted either a scheme member electrician to do the work, or for an electrician on their list to do an EICR and I would need to pay. Although LABC would engage the electrician and instruct him as to what was required, not a case of me getting another electrician to do an EICR, maybe the inspector had realised both my son and I were electricians so we could write the EICR as we both had our C&G 2391.

My son said if some one else was to inspect our work, he would need to be same or higher qualified than us, so he would need to have a degree as I had a degree, and at that he backed down and allowed me to inspect and test, however it was a wet room so was a special location.

Although we could show the building regulations said if there is an opening window don't need an extractor fan, the LABC inspector insisted we have one, as he said if the window was opened visitors to house could see into the wet room. So it seems does not matter what the rules say, the LABC can insist on what is done.

So best option is to ask LABC inspector will he accept you doing the work.

Just on this though that it does seem that there is a grey area regarding "notifying" if I put a fuse in between the current socket and the new ones ?
Nothing to do with it. Spurs - additional sockets - are not notifiable.

In England only three things are:
New circuts - (spurs are not. It could be argued that fused spurs are but they are not considered as such).
Replacing consumer units.
Alterations and additions in zones of bathrooms etc.

I would prefer to isolate it where i can anyway so might be ideal in this case?
Carry on then - but the spur will be limited to 13A - which probably won't matter.

My biggest concern is if I'm "legally" allowed to do it,
Anyone competent can do electrical work.
All electrical work should be properly tested, and those test results recorded on a certificate.

All work in dwellings must comply with Part P, which just requires that it's done safely.
A very limited list of work is notifiable, either direct to Building Control or via an electrician registered with one of the schemes. The work you have described is NOT notifiable.

seem that there is a grey area regarding "notifying" if I put a fuse in between the current socket and the new ones ?
No.
In England, notifiable work is a new circuit, a replacement consumer unit, or work within the zones of a bathroom. That is all.
Extending an existing circuit is not notifiable.

Right, so then my next question (and my only real concern as this is where I'm not sure on these things) is that the wall I'm putting these sockets into is a SIP panel wall so it consists of 100mm insulation sandwiched between 2 x 11mm OSB3 boards and then fibre cement boards on the outside (if that matters) and then 12mm drywall on the inside so am i ok putting drywall back boxes in these and also will the cabling be ok in the insulation of these walls or are there any special fire rating boxes etc that i will need for these does anyone know ?
Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back