building over an attached brick garage

W

westie1961

hi, we are hoping to extend by either -
extending the lenght of our garage and turning the garage into living accomodation or extending above the existing brick garage and also converting the garage into living accomodation.

1) if the foundations of the existing garage arent deep enough to build over the garage is underpinning an option? any ideas of cost for a attached brick garage.

3) if i wanted to extend the garage lenght wise but not increase the height could the foundations for the new part be the same depth as the existing garage.

the house is approx 10 years old and is detached, the garage was buildt by the house builders at the same time as the house.

Sponsored Links
if the foundations of the existing garage arent deep enough to build over the garage is underpinning an option?
Yes it is. An alternative, as you will need cavity walls above, is to use steel beams to support the inner leaf, supported off posts in the garage, so as to keep as much space in there for garage use as possible; posts would be supported off new pad foundations.

if i wanted to extend the garage lenght wise but not increase the height could the foundations for the new part be the same depth as the existing garage.
If the width depth and general configuration complies with current standards and the depth to competent bearing soils is no greater, then yes. If it's only 10 years old, it probably will be the same as current requirements; the only unknown is the ground condition.

an exploratory dig or test hole is what needed here me thinks. ;)

underpinning is a right pain. :mad:

Yep to both. Underpinning costs currently circa £700 per metre plus VAt as well.

Sponsored Links
Shytalkz";p="895523 said:
if the foundations of the existing garage arent deep enough to build over the garage is underpinning an option?
Yes it is. An alternative, as you will need cavity walls above, is to use steel beams to support the inner leaf, supported off posts in the garage, so as to keep as much space in there for garage use as possible; posts would be supported off new pad foundations.

Hi, excuse my ignorance, if we used steels to support the inner blockwork, would we still need to underpin the existing walls before we can add / extend them higher. the existing garage has a pitched roof supported by piers, and the ridge of the garage roof is approx 14ft high.

No: the increase in loading from the alterations to the outer brickwork is only marginal, so I personally would argue - unless there were signs that movement was already occurring - that there was no requirement to do so.

thanks for the info, we dont want to waste money on plans etc without getting a rough idea of cost, but its difficult to get a quote / ball park figure without plans, although i wouldnt mind a quote say within 5k just for the completion of the outer shell.

i am going to dig down and expose the garage foundation, then ask the building control people what they think. cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back