Building Regs Classification of a Conservatory

Its all in my post:
It is all taken care of within Part L1B Existing Dwellings, no need of any special notes or other LABC blurb. http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/br/BR_PDF_ADL1B_2010.pdf

If the conservatory complies with 3.15 (and 3.16) it will be exempt from the regs no matter how much or little of its roof or walls are glazed. Building such a conservatory is not notifiable.

I will go down with these documents and see what they say :D
Regarding your post quote above I have looked at the document but it doesn't actually state "it will be exempt from the regs no matter how much or little of its roof or walls are glazed"
Is there any way of clarifying this point or is that just what your BC said?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
I have however just seen this:.
http://www.communities.gov.uk/documents/planningandbuilding/pdf/1728453.pdf
Section C25 "Building Control Bodies will want to note that the definition of conservatory in terms of percentage translucent material as set out in previous editions of the Approved Documents no longer applies"
But I think it applies only when the conservatory is not exempt from Building regs.
I am confused :confused: :D

That's the whole point, it no longer states that there is a minimum amount of translucent material required but it must still comply with 3.16 or 4.8 in order to avoid inspection. Maybe my post needs some re-wording. :p

Frankly jassdhali it'd be better if you just started your own thread and made it clear exactly what you are intending to do, this thread is not intended for this purpose.

Sponsored Links
Th following is clause 3.15 from 2010 Part L.

Conservatories and porches

3.15 Regulation 9 of the Building Regulations
exempts some conservatory and porch extensions
from the energy efficiency requirements. The
exemption applies only for conservatories or porches:
• which are at ground level;
• where the floor area is less than 30 m2;
• where the existing walls, doors and windows
in the part of the dwelling which separates
the conservatory are retained or, if removed,
replaced by walls, windows and doors which
meet the energy efficiency requirements; and
• where the heating system of the dwelling is
not extended into the conservatory or porch.

Three things:

1. If the conservatory is a conservatory it is exempt providing it complies with the above.

2. If the conservatory is not a conservatory it is a porch and is exempt providing it complies with the above.

(note that conservatories and porches are now exactly the same so the old definition of a conservatory is irrelevant.)

3. If it is neither 1 nor 2 then it is an extension and must comply with building regulations.

Th following is clause 3.15 from 2010 Part L.

Conservatories and porches

3.15 Regulation 9 of the Building Regulations
exempts some conservatory and porch extensions
from the energy efficiency requirements. The
exemption applies only for conservatories or porches:
• which are at ground level;
• where the floor area is less than 30 m2;
• where the existing walls, doors and windows
in the part of the dwelling which separates
the conservatory are retained or, if removed,
replaced by walls, windows and doors which
meet the energy efficiency requirements; and
• where the heating system of the dwelling is
not extended into the conservatory or porch.

Three things:

1. If the conservatory is a conservatory it is exempt providing it complies with the above.

2. If the conservatory is not a conservatory it is a porch and is exempt providing it complies with the above.

(note that conservatories and porches are now exactly the same so the old definition of a conservatory is irrelevant.)

3. If it is neither 1 nor 2 then it is an extension and must comply with building regulations.

Not to upset freddymercurystwin and detract from the subject, I was hoping that I could build my conservatory, which in fact is exempt from Building Regs, but use less glazing on roof area to keep it warm in the winter. I dont believe I will be able to without a Building Notice :cry:

Yet again a thread that was started to provide a definitive answer to a specific question has been muddied by a newbie who cannot be bothered to start a new thread. Please start a new thread explaining exactly what you have and what you want to end up with, that way you will get an answer, you are drip feeding the thread with your questions.

I don’t understand the reason for your posts or, from what you’ve said, why you feel you need a BN. As FMT states the answers to your questions are already contained within the thread, even within the post you quote; read the thread but if it doesn't answer your questions, start your own specific thread ;)

hell guys. just been reading this thread and still confused :?:
never been accused of being bright! lol!!

anyway, question:

if i was to build a ext with the 2 end walls being solid, front with bifold doors
to almost full width, tiled roof with no heating connected from main system.

can i call this a con/porch and be exempt from b-regs? i live in lb ealing.

cheers

@alim1 Yes this thread should come with a health warning but this is really the only crucial part of the entire thread that applies to you:

OK, after some chitchat back and forth with the three most senior employees of my local BC the situation is apparently now clear (at least today and from my local authority :LOL:).

It is all taken care of within Part L1B Existing Dwellings, no need of any special notes or other LABC blurb. http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/br/BR_PDF_ADL1B_2010.pdf

If the conservatory complies with 3.15 (and 3.16) it will be exempt from the regs no matter how much or little of its roof or walls are glazed. Building such a conservatory is not notifiable.

If it does not comply with 3.15 it must comply with 4.8, there is no limit on how much or little of its roof or walls are glazed. Whilst it must comply with the regulations stipulated within 4.8 building such a conservatory is not notifiable.

If it does not comply with the above it is not exempt from Building Regulations Approval and to become a lawful development Building Regulations Approval from the LA or an Approved Inspector is required.

if i was to build a ext with the 2 end walls being solid, front with bifold doors
to almost full width, tiled roof with no heating connected from main system.

can i call this a con/porch and be exempt from b-regs? i live in lb ealing.

Yes, as long as you do not remove the external door from the main house.

cheers guys.
also, would i be able to connect hot/cold water and install a cooker to the
"consv" and still be exempt??

Trying to drum up a bit of business then are we :rolleyes:

Hi Richard, was merely sharing the info we've collected recently. Also, I actually emailed our local authority (Mansfield District Council) who confirmed that the volume of translucent glazing is no longer a factor in Building Regulations. However, we have experienced local authority decisions around other parts of the country that contradict this.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back