Building Regs Classification of a Conservatory

Don't know if it specifically says that gerald, but then I would suppose that the millions of conservatories that have been built without having notified Building Control which have subsequently not been reprimanded by Building Control may be a clue.

Many local authorities have simply not bothered to update their websites and indeed many Building Control employees are shamefully not too hot on the latest Regs either. But then I openly confess I was unsure myself until I started this thread.

Probably should lock myself away one day and read the entire Regs.

Sponsored Links
Don't know if it specifically says that gerald, but then I would suppose that the millions of conservatories that have been built without having notified Building Control which have subsequently not been reprimanded by Building Control may be a clue.

Many local authorities have simply not bothered to update their websites and indeed many Building Control employees are shamefully not too hot on the latest Regs either. But then I openly confess I was unsure myself until I started this thread.

Probably should lock myself away one day and read the entire Regs.

I did notice that electrical work appears to be notifiable under Part P ;)

Cheers
Richard

Hi guys, do these regs/planning for conservatorys apply to all local authorities? Or can a individual authority interpret there own definition of what is deemed as a conservatory or not?

I have a single storey structure currently with no roof on or windows in on a property we have just exchanged on. On the full plans it has been approved as a conservatory and our BCO has confirmed it to be exempt from regs or any inspection. Our intention is to put a pitched tiled roof on and have bifolds right across the front. Then leave the kitchen wall in place, just use a plug in heater for now and have the conservatory wired by part p sparky. Then apply for planning in a few months to take wall down between the kitchen and "conservatory" to open it up into a large kitchen.
Am I ok to do? And how would I stand with the conservatory once I ask later through planning to open the structure up?
Very similar situation to this chap on page 3
Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:17 pm
hell guys. just been reading this thread and still confused
never been accused of being bright! lol!!

anyway, question:

if i was to build a ext with the 2 end walls being solid, front with bifold doors
to almost full width, tiled roof with no heating connected from main system.

can i call this a con/porch and be exempt from b-regs? i live in lb ealing.

cheers

Read more: //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=278544&start=30#ixzz2PJXTPkdr

if i was to build a ext with the 2 end walls being solid, front with bifold doors
to almost full width, tiled roof with no heating connected from main system.

can i call this a con/porch and be exempt from b-regs? i live in lb ealing.

I think, in theory, yes, subject to what we've been discussing.

Does the BCO who said it was exempt know it will have a tiled roof?

If you want to open it up to the kitchen later, that would be a building control matter rather than a planning issue. Apart from structural support for the opening, a significant issue would be energy efficiency (Approved Document L1B), so it wouldn't hurt to insulate your conservatory/sunroom/extension to the requirements of regs.

Hopefully someone who actually knows what they're talking about will be along to help answer your question shortly ;)

Cheers
Richard

Sponsored Links
Thanks Richard,

No the BCO has just made notes on a site fault letter from his last visit regarding the oustanding works to our project (side extension), and then separately states "the conservatory is deemed exempt from building regulations and wasn't inspected"
On his next visit I was considering asking him - or just leaving it be and doing the works and then applying for regs to take the kitchen wall down in a few months. The only other thing I forgot to say is that we are looking to put 2 velux skylights into the roof also, so when we dontake the wall out we have sufficient light, we would look to insulate the roof area sufficiently.

Just worried about doing this and then when he returns they say the structure is not a conservatory and we may find ourselves in a spot of bother?

We are completing a side extension and also this conservatory, I also wandered if after the side extension is complete we get the completion certificate at that point OR after the conservatory is also complete as this is all on the same planning application/approval, in thinking we should get the completion certificate after just the side extension as the conservatory is exempt from building regs as he's already stated in his letter therefore separate issue and for us to complete in our own time? Am I right or wrong on this?

Andy, you are confusing between planning and building regulations. You don't need planning to take walls down. You do need building regs.

A conservatory and a porch are the same thing for building regs purposes. If you do not knock through to the existing house and you do not extend the heating system into the porch/conservatory then it is exempt from building regulations.

I think what you are saying is that you intend to complete the build now as if it is a porch/conservatory (leaving the original external wall and door in place) but then knock it through later. That's all very well but when you come to do the knock through the whole building will at that point have to comply. So you'd really be better off sorting out the problems and getting it done properly now.

Thanks for explaining that John, you are right that is exactly what I would like to do. I appreciate what you are saying about the building would need to comply at the point when we take the wall down but was thinking that we could at that point just get retrospective regs for it rather than if we do this now it will mean a complete new planning application for it along with new drawings and a separate regs inspection (cost and mither).
We are working from 5 year old plans from previous house owner and cannot get in touch with the architect so an amendment is out of the question.
Have asked the LA if we could change it from conservatory to extension using a minor materials ammendment but can't as has to be done in the first 12 months so they said would need a brand new application.
Asked these questions as a general enquiry a few weeks back?
So I'm assuming in this case it may actually be cheaper and easier to do things the wrong way round? Please let me know of I'm wrong/right on this one. Feedback appreciated

Patience, dear boy; patience...

cannot get in touch with the architect so an amendment is out of the question.

Nothing to stop you doing your own plans - not that difficult. If you can't contact the architect, then photcopy the plans, then modify them to suit. Photocopy again, and submit them.

Or scan them & do it all on computer.

Haha!! Time waits for no man!! Cheers Robin may look at this option. I still was looking for feedback on my above post in terms of doing things back to front but take on board what you suggest.
Cheers

I'm not an expert, but if you want to get building control sign off at a later date I would imagine that it would fall under regularisation of work.

Building control will want to validate that all aspects of the building are compliant, which may involve 'opening up the work'.

That's going to be much more expensive than getting the appropriate sign off by building control as the work is done.

And I'm sorry to bang on about this, but, although we all are clear what the regulations now say concerning the definition of an exempt conservatory, advice on many councils' websites is *still* different, for example here:

http://www2.eastriding.gov.uk/envir...ng-control/building-regulations/#conservatory

"It has a clear translucent roof and substantially glazed walls"

So in a disagreement between householder and BCO over whether Building Control ought to be involved, who is going to win, do we think? Without incurring legal expenses? Has anyone argued this point with their local Building Control, and come out best?

Cheers
Richard

Good point - same on my council's site. I'm planning to drop them a message about it.

Another point I need clarified, if they insist on "substantially glazed walls" is does that apply only to new walls or do existing house walls count towards that? So if I'm relying on 3 existing house walls, and put a new fourth glass wall... is that "conservatory" 25% glass or 100% glass?

M.

Right, reluctant as I am to drag this up again.

A friend emailed our local authority building control and put these points to them, concerning glazing and the definition of a conservatory. This is their reply to him:

"Attached is the LABC guidance note which [---] currently uses to determine if a conservatory is exempt.. In the absence of government defining what a conservatory is (or is not) we will continue to use this guidance note. Interpretation of the Building Regulations is a matter solely for the Local Authority.

The message from LABC is that replacing a glazed conservatory roof with a solid roof does require Building Control approval and this message has been conveyed to conservatory companies."

The LABC guidance note was previously quoted by someone else in this thread or its predecessor. It says:

"In the interest of national consistency of interpretation, the guidance on levels of glazing contained in the superseded Approved Document L1B 2006 still gives a valid basis for a decision."

So it seems that although we are "right" in theory, in at least some council areas we are clearly going to be "wrong" in practice.

Cheers
Richard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back