Building Regs Classification of a Conservatory

I'm currently having what's marketed as a 'livin' room conservatory by some or 'orangery' style by others built. The difference is rather more brickwork and a lot of plasterboard at the edges of the roof to kid you it's a lantern roof all of which gives it a more solid appearance than the normal conservatory. But it is under 30m2, has the normal conservatory glazed roof (albeit some of it is covered internally by plasterboard), has a separate heating system and the door between existing and new is an external quality door. In my build the entire front is bi folds and one side wall has a large window. The other side wall is unglazed. The glazed area is a bit over 40% if measured on the external face.
The doubt in my mind was the 50% glazing requirement so I talked to my local BCO who brought up the 50% requirement. Of course I mentioned it was no longer specifically mentioned. The advice they gave me in return was 'don't lose any sleep over it' so I haven't. Common sense rules.
They were more concerned that even though exempt I should ensure it had proper foundations.

Sponsored Links
BUILDING REGULATIONS CLASSIFICATION OF CONSERVATORY

[go to page... 1.254, 1255, 1,256, 1257...next]

Yet more ambiguity, it doesn't state a percentage of area and leaves it down to the LA in question to determine. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
I don't see any change. The DCLG circular reinforces the current position which is exactly as I said it was previously. A conservatory and porch are effectively the same thing and as long as it is less than 30m², thermally separated and the heating system is not extended into it, it is exempt. Apart from electrics, glazing etc. which we already knew about.

It says "a significant proportion of the walls and roof are glazed".

NOT "a significant proportion of both the walls and the roof are glazed", and not "a significant proportion of the walls and a significant proportion of the roof are glazed".

Seems to me that you therefore add up the area of walls + roof and see what the proportion of that total is glazed.

A Department of Communities and Local Government (DCLG) circular letter on 28 September 2010 stated that “Building Control Bodies will want to note that the definition of conservatory in terms of percentage translucent material as set out in previous editions of the Approved Documents no longer applies”.

Apparently they don't want to note that.

Is there no limit to the depth of ineptitude of the people who write the Building Regulations and the Approved Documents?

In fact, if you look at most porches, they have solid (non-glazed) roofs.
Yet DCLG classes conservatories and porches together. So how big in floor area can a porch be before it becomes a conservatory?
Perhaps you can build a 29 sq m. solid-roof structure outside the back door and still call it a porch?

In fact, if you look at most porches, they have solid (non-glazed) roofs.
Yet DCLG classes conservatories and porches together. So how big in floor area can a porch be before it becomes a conservatory?
Perhaps you can build a 29 sq m. solid-roof structure outside the back door and still call it a porch?
That's always been the case Tony. A porch has always been exempt up to 30m² - thermal separation - no heating. The 2010 reg just brought conservatories into the same category. Conservatories always used to depend on glazing to fall into the category. But no longer. Glazing is now irrelevant. If it's thermally separated and you don't extend the heating it is a porch, whatever it's built from.

I don't use LABC so I'm not really bothered what they think. Although it does amaze me how they've managed to come up with the nonsense.

Seems to me that you therefore add up the area of walls + roof and see what the proportion of that total is glazed.

Possibly, but you'd be up against what the most recent DCLG document says: "The decision on whether a conservatory or porch extension is exempt is a matter for building control bodies on a case by case basis taking account of the conditions above and the amount of glazing that makes up the new walls and roof."

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...r_Letter_conservatories_and_porches_final.pdf

(linked to from one of the pages I linked to above).

When you look at a random selection of LA Building Control websites, their interpretation is that both roof and walls must be substantially glazed.

Is there no limit to the depth of ineptitude of the people who write the Building Regulations and the Approved Documents?

Clearly not, because the above note also says:

"A conservatory or porch is typically an extension to an existing building of which a significant proportion of the walls and roof are glazed… "

I don't think a porch roof is typically glazed, though some are.

What's changed is that the previous government circular and the LABC guidance appeared to be at odds. Now it's clear that although the amount of glazing is not part of the exemption, both DCLG and LABC agree that substantial glazing to both walls and roof is part of the definition of a conservatory in the first place. If something isn't a conservatory at all, it can't be an exempt conservatory.

Cheers
Richard

What's changed is that the previous government circular and the LABC guidance appeared to be at odds. Now it's clear that although the amount of glazing is not part of the exemption, both DCLG and LABC agree that substantial glazing to both walls and roof is part of the definition of a conservatory in the first place. If something isn't a conservatory at all, it can't be an exempt conservatory.
The LABC guidance and a government circular still do not form any kind of law and IMO are not enforceable.

Therefore my old post still applies:
Its all in my post:
It is all taken care of within Part L1B Existing Dwellings, no need of any special notes or other LABC blurb. http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/br/BR_PDF_ADL1B_2010.pdf

If the conservatory complies with 3.15 (and 3.16) it will be exempt from the regs no matter how much or little of its roof or walls are glazed. Building such a conservatory is not notifiable.

If the conservatory complies with 3.15 (and 3.16) it will be exempt from the regs no matter how much or little of its roof or walls are glazed. Building such a conservatory is not notifiable.

Well, to be an exempt conservatory, it must first be a conservatory at all.

Once it's been established that a structure is a conservatory in the first place, it can then be considered whether it is exempt. A conservatory is exempt if the requirements on size, thermal separation and heating are satisfied. But only if it's a conservatory ;)

The most recent government circular clarifies that a conservatory is a structure with walls and ceiling substantially glazed.

Cheers
Richard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back