Building Regs effective date

The time limit on commencement of works is three years. But there is no time limit for completion. Large developers often submit plans for several sites or phases at a time and once the fist phase has commenced that secures the approval for all phases or sites - some of which may not start until years later.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the answer Freddy, but were these for dwellings or office blocks etc ?

In the latter case, since the potential purchasers would be property professionals, I'm sure they would demand in-depth detail, but the ordinary guy ... ?

My answer was predominantly for dwellings in fact I don't ever recall being asked to provide construction details for buyers or renters of commercial projects. There are many astute buyers out there even the ordinary guys as you put it.

this is misleading house prices a bit i fear.a new hous eis built with modern regs and it drags up the price of a similarly looking house next door but was built using ,for example,20 year old regs,if built 20 years prior,if you get my drift.

this is misleading house prices a bit i fear.a new hous eis built with modern regs and it drags up the price of a similarly looking house next door but was built using ,for example,20 year old regs,if built 20 years prior,if you get my drift.

Not really, the vast majority of dwellings sold today are built using todays regs, buyers beware though!

Sponsored Links
you dint got what i meant then.

if i build an identical house next door to one built 20 years ago,most buyers wouldnt distinguish between the superior build quality in the new house but the owner of the older property will think,oh that hous enext door is 20k more than ours but its the same,lets raise our price to there price.

Building regulations are valid for 3 years after which you will need to re-apply under the current regulations in force at the time. Therefore, your property should have been installed with 270mm insulation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back