Building regs!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Are they different for different areas in the uk?
The reason i`m asking is, I watched some property programme on c4 last night and this lad bought a run down cottage (can`t remember exactly where) but it was down south.
He got planning permission for a 2 storey extension and the block used for the outside was thermalite (definately not a concrete block, 110% thermalite)
and obviously rendered ontop of this.
So back to my original Q, do different areas of the uk have different regs or not?

Sponsored Links
building regs are all the same, although they can be interpreted differntly by different councils and individual officers. Same with planning as well

There is nothing wrong with using thermalite blocks externally - it does not contravene any building regulations

^woody^ said:
There is nothing wrong with using thermalite blocks externally - it does not contravene any building regulations
Fartin on site these days contravene`s b reg`s :). Next thing you`ll be telling me is that their ideal for using instead of concrete commons for laying on top of foundations :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Nobody uses bricks in the footings any more do they :eek:

Or are some old dudes hanging on to 1 1/2 brick english bond and the line "up 3"?

I guess up north they do :LOL: , only going off local extensions i`ve seen being built

a good example of different interpretations of the regs is the use of this Trisco 10 "baco foil" style insulation .

Some councils arent accepting it , and the 3 next to me have different requirements

1 accepts it can be used on its own

2 Requires an additional 65mm of celotex to back it up

3rd wants 95mm to back it up .

All 3 are within the Berkshire UNIFIED council :LOL:

I thought all LA's had a circular last winter, in which they were advised/instructed not to accept any more foil insulation untill more comprehensive tests were done

Building regs are different in the next Street, let alone up North-down South.

Multi-foil is only supposed to be used as a secondary layer to a standard insulation material. It is not supposed to be used on its own.

jeds said:
Building regs are different in the next Street, let alone up North-down South.

Multi-foil is only supposed to be used as a secondary layer to a standard insulation material. It is not supposed to be used on its own.

That is not what the manufacturers claim though :D

Personally i cant see how it can do the job on its own , but..........

The local council who now allow it on its own , insist it is only acceptable on a sloping plane not a horizontal one

Actually I should re-phrase that. NHBC will only allow it when used in conjunction with standard insulation products. The directive was in the last quarter circular.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back